Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Malfunction?? - Help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody, Porsche Cayenne, International Scout
ESP Malfunction?? - Help!!!

So, I was driving earlier today in my beast, in "S" mode, and I proceed to get on the throttle hard as I'm entering the highway. Well, my indicator "!" comes on, like it always done when my ESP is working to keep me on the road, but this time is different.... The light goes out altogether and a warning message pops up on my dash. It says "ESP: Malfunction! Visit Workshop!" and ever since then, I am unable to get much response out of the throttle when in automatic mode (either "S" or "C").
In fact, I am struggling to get my rpm's above 4000 and it takes FOREVER to accelerate! If I switch to "M" and manually control the gears, I can get "normal" response from her, but outside of that, it ain't happenin! I can't even manually turn off the ESP now (there's no light on my dash at all to reflect the ESP is off). Has anyone had this happen to them? Will an ECU reset help? (I have a Kleemann tune though, so I didn't really want to do this if it's going to erase my ECU programming.) Does anyone have any answers/ideas? I would really appreciate any insight anyone has. I will probably call my dealer tomorrow to take her in for service sometime this week (if they can get me in), but I'd really like to know what's going on... Bottom line, I just want my beast to perform like she used to!
Thanks, in advance!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
When the fault occurs, press the throttle all the way down and hold it there. If it very slowly accelerates as if you have bearly pushed the throttle then I would say that the accelerator pedal sensor is faulty. Replace the pedal and all will be good.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody, Porsche Cayenne, International Scout
Update

Ok.....after two days and a couple of "operations," my beast is back in business! Turns out that the bolt to the belt tensioner on my supercharger had snapped off, thus causing my supercharger to malfunction. So, my dealer had to remove the tensioner, drill out the broken bolt and install a new tensioner (the previous one had been broken along with the bolt). Luckily, my warranty covered it, so I was good to go (minus the warranty deductible). I am SO glad to have my ride back up and running at full speed. The funny thing is that I normally have trouble finding any drivers in the KC area willing to have a go with me on the highway, but in the two days that I was without my E55, I ran into a Viper, a Porsche Cayman S and a Lambo Gallardo who all seemed pretty eager to show what their cars can do. Needless to say, all I could do was watch in my loaner car from the dealer (aargh!!!) . Oh well, I'm ready for 'em now!!

Thanks, everyone for all of your advice!