Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please HELP!!! Urgent - E350 - Check Engine / Engine thump - Long trip in morning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350 - 4Matic
Exclamation Please HELP!!! Urgent - E350 - Check Engine / Engine thump - Long trip in morning

I am going on a long drive tomorrow (250 miles - and back on Sunday) and so am trying to figure this out asap. I appreciate any quick help in advance!!!

Notes:

2008 E350 4Matic.
Haven't used the car at all in about 2 weeks.
25k miles. Hasn't received the most recent maintenance yet. Prior to these last 2 weeks of non-usage, everything was fine. It's been cold. Not sure if relevant (Long Island, NY).

I start the car today, and right after starting, CHECK ENGINE light comes, and engine has a light, slow, thumping sound. Any idea what this might be? I need to take this car on a trip tomorrow by noon, and so no time to go to MB service center, etc. for appointment. The car has no other warning lights, and has never prior had this light come on, nor have heard/felt this from the engine before.

Should I be concerned? Is there something I can go to local mechanic a few blocks away when they open in morning to have them take care of (like certain fluids needed or something like that)?

Thanks so much in advance!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
I wouldn't drive it that far with a thumping sound coming from the engine. Take it somewhere you can get the codes read. See what the code is and then decide if it is serious. If it is, take it to the Merc dealer and tell them you need a rental.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
sounds like a purge valve, only at idle?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 Sedan (Peuter)
You can borrow a scanner at your local auto parts store. Pretty much any O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, etc will lend a scanner that will read the trouble code. Usually you drive the car to the store, but if it's convenient, you could drive another car there, explain your situation, offer to leave a driver's license or something and ask if you could take it home for 1/2 hr or so. Scanners are very easy to operate. Simply hook it up and follow the on screen instructions (on the scanner). You'll find the OBDII (On Board Diagnostics 2) port on the driver's side on the bottom of the dash approximately in the middle of the bottom surface.

Once you get your code, google that b**ch and go from there. Probably the next step is coming back here and asking the Merc dudes, but often you'll find useful info on other sites via searches.

Best of luck!