Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 230CE Starting problems again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 230CE Starting problems again

Its been 3 years since I last had this problem. The solution last time was cracked spark plug wires(worked fine in dry weather but not in wet).
I haven't been able to see anything simple like that this time, but the symptoms are very similar.
Car will start fine five or ten times then blat,...nothing. Lots of cranking with the odd pop and backfire. Leave it twenty minutes then it starts fine for awhile. Won't start cold sometimes then leave it twenty minutes and no problem touch the key and away it goes.

So is there an easy way to check the various sensors with a multimeter individually? Or do you have to have more sophisticated test equipment.

A bit of a head scratcher again.

Would appreciate any advice.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solution to this problem

Just a follow up to others searching the site for answers.
This particular problem was with the ignition system again. After seeking a little professional advice,...it turns out the distributor cap was the culprit.
I thought it wasn't too bad the times I looked at it, but it did in fact have some faint cracking showing up at the center electrode that I guess gets the spark going to where it shouldn't. Been running the car for a month now without the problem re-curing.