Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken lug bolts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 560SEL, 1989 300SE
broken lug bolts

I have a 1989 300SE that my wife drives. Friday, she had a flat tire and had the car towed home (on a flatbed). I tried all weekend to get the wheel off, but it seems like the lug bolts have been overtorqued. I was able to remove three of the bolts, but broke the other two right behind the "nut" part of the bolt. I tried to "easy out" the two broken ones, but to no avail. Is it possible to remove the hub with the wheel still attached? Suggestions? I really need to get this car back on the road ASAP. Thanks for your help....
JD
Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550 Cab
If you broke two and got three out you should be able to prod the wheel off at this point. Apply copious amounts of heat and some penetrating oil and with a bit of patience these broken studs can be removed. They usually rust on from the back side so be sure to get some oil on the rusty end. A couple of substantial wacks with a hammer when good and hot, will usually free these guys up. Once loostened be sure to use pleanty of oil when removing them or there's a good chance you'll mess up the threads when you run the rusted area through the threds. Good luck
Old 02-01-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
You most likely need a couple 5/8" (I think, whatever size just fits over the lugbolt shank) hole saws and a drill. Make sure you use plenty of oil on the bit to keep it cool. You might be able to cut them off without damaging the wheel if you are very careful. If you cut just shy of completely through the bolt flange, you can knock it loose with a big rubber hammer.

If you do this, go SLOW, don't rush this process.

Nick