Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp low beam not working......bulb is fine...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Headlamp low beam not working......bulb is fine...

The left low beam head lamp quit working and I bought a replacement H7 bulb only to have it not work either. I checked the fuses and they are fine and all other items running off the same fuses work properly. The car is an '06 C230 if that makes any difference.

I checked both the old and new bulb with a 12v power supply and they both work fine. All wires to the bulb seem to be intact and the "left low beam out" warning on the control panel is on. All other front lights work as normal.

Is there anything that I can do to fix this to avoid a dealer visit? Car is out of warranty and I'm low on $$$.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 clk 320
That bulb should have 2 terminals only so use a test meter to verify you have +12volts and a good ground. I would set the meter on dc volts 0-20 and test the two terminals and them test for continuity to ground (probably brown wire). Sometimes the terminals will not engage with the bulb and it will not illuminate. Check to see both terminals are making good contact with the spade terminals on the bulb.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Doh! I should have thought of that! Not sure what to do if there is no power getting there, but at least it narrows down the issue. Thanks.