Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smell when i accelerate !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
W6n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500
Unhappy Smell when i accelerate !!

Hi All..

On Jan. 2009, I bought a ML 500 From my Dealer in Qatar.
I was enjoying the car until July 2009. Unfortunately, the Battery went Dead suddenly because of a Manufacturer defect and it had been replaced by warranty. After that , I and passengers with me in the car have Noticed burning smell whenever I need to Accelerate quickly or drive over 120 KM , suddenly we get concerned and I slow down and that is what I do not expect from Mercedes

I am disappointed because the dealer failed to solve my problem , they checked everything in the car and they fail to fix it they even couldn't smell it when i tested the car with them several times..

I wrote an email to daimler customer care, and they contact the dealer to know more information about the problem and suggested to change the car exhaust system.. and they did change it but i still smell it when ever i accelerate .. so they ask the dealer to use the Additive for the engine
they gave me 4 of them and ask me to use 1 each time i refill the empty tank..
I used 3 of them so far and i still smell the burning smell
its so disturbing ..
I lose my attention while driving becuase of it .. few days ago i was going to had an accident cuz i smell it and slow down and think about it and lost the attention to the road

By the way the smell is inside the car even if the A/C is turned off..
and its even worse outside..

Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550 Cab
Can't help but think the dead battery and the burning smell are related in some way. Possibly a short in the wiring somewhere that caused a relativly weak battery to fail. Now with a new battery in place it's more abpt to sustain a burn and is more evident than before. This is potientally a serious problem with a fire as a risk. If the new battery goes dead I'd have an expert capable of diagnosing a tricky wiring problem take a close look at the problem. Sometimes it takes a catostropic failure to identify these types of problems. Are you aware of anything electrical operating differently? Any kind of small change could give you a clue of where to look. Best of luck.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:23 AM
W6n

ML500
Raygt3 Thanks for ur replay..
that was my first thought and i ask them several times to check it and they said it has nothing to do with the battery and wires
they did check it infront of me ,, and said nothing wrong..
and by the way i let them change the new battery again with new one and nothing changed..

i didn't notice anything diffrent in operating the car.. unless few times i was pressing on the break but the car jumped as if the gear didn't response and accelerate .. so i visit the work shop they did an update to the gear system then it works ok ..

I don't know where is the problem .. and the workshop seems that they get bored from my complain

am using merceds cars since 2003 ,, and am seriosly thinking of stoping and finding other brand
cuz i am suffering with my car more than 6 monthes and am not enjoying it at all
Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 AM

ml320 & c240
Can you tell if the smell is of electrical burn, or rubber ,or anything like that
? It may not have anything to do with the battery just trying to get a feel as to an area to pin it down then figure it out. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:16 PM
W6n

ML500
Benzeboy thanx for ur response

I really can't say if its fuel or wire burning smell
it's not rubber, mostly fuel burning

recently i noted the smell concentrated outside the car, but i can't understand why i can smell it inside while all windows are closed and the A/C as well