Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W220 intermittent no crank.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s500 Sport
W220 intermittent no crank.

Anybody experiencing intermittent no crank condition when key is turned on a w-220? Indicator lights remain constant, but starter will not crank. Returning key to off, and then retrying so far has been successful. I'm guessing the ignition switch may not be reading the key info, but that's a potentially expensive guess if I'm wrong. Oh yeah, it's a 2001 if it makes a difference.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes S500 - 1999
My w220, S500, has similar problem. It is intermitent. Most mornings I turn the key and nothing happens to the cranking, although other electrical items, such as AC etc switches on. I notice that when it does not crank the little LED red lights on all the dash switches are off. After several attempts, the LED lights come on and then it ctanks without a problem. Very irritanting and I fear that one day it will not start at all.
I notice that there are no answers to cadeldo question. I hope someone will start to help him and I trace this problem. I tried the spare key also and it is the same. Could it be the ignition unit that is defective?
Merc dealer substituted the module (cannot remember the name so I insert a picture of it), but it did not resolve the situation, althout it resolved other problems.
Please guys out there, respond to this post. Thank you.