Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Need to raise top manually on 04 CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
82 Mazda RX-7
Help! Need to raise top manually on 04 CLK55

Hello, we are a salvage yard located in Stafford, VA, and we thought we would turn to you guys for help. We have a 2004 CLK55 AMG cabrio that we cannot get the roof to raise on. When we power up the car, it thinks that it is still moving, so the roof won't raise by itself. We are having difficulty getting the tonneau cover to release, and we were wondering if you guys could help us out? We're trying to preserve the interior from the elements, and we need to move it out of our shed as it is taking up space. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 05-20-2010, 10:59 AM

82 Mazda RX-7
Admins, posted twice on accident, could you please delete this one?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
I just messed with a similar car the other day with the conv top.

First, you will need to be able to get into the trunk.. at the front of the trunk at the bottom, you will see a 1 1/2" diameter hole.. stick a flat blade screwdriver into it, makes sure it seats and turn it counter clockwise until you get some resistance.. This unlocks the pressure from the hydraulic system so you can manually move it around when you get access to it..
Next, you can source this tool http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...motiveQ5fTools (its the 2nd tool pictured from the left.. has a 10mm open end and a 6mm allen on the other end). The tool is part # 129-581-00-66 . You can also try to find a long 10 mm wrench and do the same thing just make sure not to drop it down in the opening. Take the 10mm end of the tool pictured, and find the slim opening just between and behind the headrests. If you shine a flashlight down in there you should see a gold colored place to put that 10mm open end on and turn it towards the driver's side of the car. The top cover should pop open and you have access to the conv. top. With someone's help, grab both sides and pull it out and forward. Next pull the rear of the conv. top up and out of the way so you can fold that cover back down and lock it into place again using the 10mm wrench, this time turning it towards the passenger side of the car. Next you will need to use a 6mm allen key.. Again, get inside the trunk.. on the bottom side of that cover you just locked down is a small opening at the rear. This opening inside the trunk is just under that opening that you are trying to latch the top down and into. Push the top down into the latch so that its about 1" or less from closing and then use the 6mm allen key to lock it down.. After that, its just as simple as using the hand lever at the front of the conv top inside the car to lock it down into place and raise the windows. If you do plan on using the system again though, remember to re-tighten the lock for the hydraulic system (see first part of instructions and turn clockwise this time).

The car I was working on had a few different issues that kept the top from working so I had to do this a few times over a few days.. Hope this helps..
Old 05-21-2010, 08:09 AM

82 Mazda RX-7
Awesome, thanks so much for the quick response. I will forward this information to my inventory manager and see if he can the top up!

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 05-21-2010, 09:55 AM

82 Mazda RX-7
Racin Fool, my inventory manager tried your instructions and he is having difficulty following them. What year was the car that you were working on? Apparently 04 and up's are different?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:27 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
DOH!! That's right.. my fault and sorry for the confusion.. I was working on a 2001 CLK430 which is the previous 208 body style rather than the newer 209 body style..

I'll find one and play with it on Monday and let you know unless someone comes up with the information first. again, sorry for the confusion..
Old 05-24-2010, 07:50 AM

82 Mazda RX-7
Hey no worries, we're just glad we have someone trying to help us! We called our Mercedes dealer here and they weren't able to give us any useful information...