Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDI Glow plug error. Carbon Build up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:04 AM
GLO

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W205 C250BT & R320cdi-L V251 (sold c220 cdi Elegance)
CDI Glow plug error. Carbon Build up?

Hi,

My wifes W203 C220cdi already has had a glow plug replaced due to the glow plug warning light (i think it was just the coil light staying on)

However the light has been coming on more frequently since its last service at 180K, its approaching 200K and the Merc dealer said its ok to run it as it is till the next service.

However after months of letting the coil light stay on, i decided to give it a little bit of a pump on the accellerator, and low and behold, the light hardly comes on now.

I remembered that in my old Petrol vehicles, carbon build up would reduce efficiency and a good wind out of RPMs would help clean it out.

Could this be all that was needed? an occassional wind up of higher RPMs.My wife only putts around town and rarely goes over 2500rpm.

Is it likely to solve the coil light remaining on.

Regards
GLO
The following users liked this post:
Hussar (07-28-2017)
Old 06-25-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Some sprited driving and blowing some smoke (kick down from 5th to 2nd, etc) is good for a diesel.

Shouldn't help your GP light in the slightest though since its laready lit. Might help keep them cleaner longer.. A multimeter would tell you which GP(s) have bad resistance. Good ones will test out between .6 and 1.0. Higher than that and they are usually considered bad.

Most pencil GP's last 100-150k miles pending driving style. Cold climates and low rpm's are tougher on them and will reduce their lifespan.

Mine are at 200k currently; where I live we consider it uncommonly cold when it hits 40F in winter so they live an easy life.