Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C230 HID installation problem, errors and power steering failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sport Sedan
Unhappy C230 HID installation problem, errors and power steering failure

I tried my best to scour these forums and the ones at BenzWorld for a solution and it looks like I have a completely unique problem. A huge thanks in advance for taking some time to answer. My car is the 2006 C230 Sport - the one with kompressor body style, but the updated 201hp V6.

I have an aftermarket H7 HID kit with a 35W ballast. I installed and mounted everything properly, drilling the holes in the light dust covers too. The lights turn on and work fine on battery power before starting the engine.

When I start the engine I have the following problems and warning notices come up:

-display malfunction
-esp (traction) unavailable
-abs failure
-check engine and abs lights on
-steering tightens significantly (meaning power steering is off and I have to use a fair amount of force to turn the wheel)

From what I have seen in posts here and BenzWorld, people have lights flickering, or bulb failure warnings, or issues with the power to kit. I haven't seen anyone write about the problems I'm getting. Because of this, I have no clue how to approach a solution.

There's some info on the CANBUS, error decorder, capacitors, out there, but none of it is any good. Before I blindly buy more parts to get this working, it would be great to know what you guys think. Thank you.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
I have the H7 kit as well and did get flickering...The errors decoders solve my issue.
I would first disconnect the HIDs and reinstall the standard bulbs and check to see if your problems "went away".
Sounds too coincidental....but I'm no engineer. I would work backwards and determine if it was the HIDs and not a seperate issue at the same time.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML350
what wires did you tap into for power/ground? as stated above. disconnect everything from the hid's and see if your problem goes away.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
My kit came with pre-attached clips on the ballasts that plugged directly into the factory bulb socket. No splicing, no cutting. The decoders have the same male/female plugs and got inserted between the ballasts and factory socket.
Simply detatch the kit and reinsert the original bulb.