Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

190e hard shift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190e hard shift

I'm slowly getting the kinks worked out of my 85 190e 8v (replaced the cam and one rocker today) but it still has a tranny problem i need help with.
At idle (around 900 rpm by the dash tach) when i shift into reverse it bangs into gear hard enough to chirp the rear tires with the brakes on. Shifting into drive it is a little less violent but still bangs into gear.
On the road it shifts up and down perfectly and smoothly.
also today i noticed that if i give it some gas while in park it trys to creep backwards.
Has anybody else dealt with a similar condition ?
Could it be a modulator problem ?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:16 PM

'03 C230K
I would think you got a problem woth the modulator. there is a little key under a cap on the modlator that can be pulled out and turned to adjust pressure. This is very sensitive and needs to be set right on, also different for most cars , somewhere between 3 to 4 bar, be you have to look it up and set it right on. Those cars will naturally rock backwards if you rev them up in neutral. Just how they are unless its really bad you may need motor mounts, there is a tool to measure them. Check the vacume line to the modulator make sure its hooked up and not leaking. but it will need to be off for setting pressures. any other Qs let me know.

2003 C230K magma, C5, C7, 6 spd.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I tried turning the modulator key counter clockwise 1/2 turn to see if it made a difference and it didn't. Of course I'm just shooting in the dark without a guage on it to measure actual pressure. I do have one question concerning the modulator key. Is it supposed to be spring loaded in the down postion ? I.E. should there be any resistance when it is withdrawn ? Mine just pulled out with no resistance, it appeared as though it could be withdrawn completly from the valve body ?
Old 04-14-2003, 11:54 PM

'03 C230K
There wont be any resistance on that key its just kinda loose in there, but I havent ever tryed to pull one out completly, its probably best to leave it in there. If i remember right each little notch you turn, it will move the pressure .1 bar
Old 04-15-2003, 12:39 AM

i think you're right. i looked at a picture of one in an online parts catalog and it showed the key removed from the valve body. in an earlier post on this subject someone here referred to a "small plastic ball in the front of the trans" that can fail and cause this symptom. i'm still trying to get more info on this "ball"