Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake or suspension problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 C200 Kompressor, 02 C32 AMG
Brake or suspension problem?

I'm not sure which section will this belong to, but here goes.

For the last few months my car (01 C200K sedan) has been experiencing very harsh ride only when I'm braking over bumps or rough patches on the road. It sounds like something loose/rough rattleing from the front suspension or brake section, specially at the front left side. This only happen when brake is applied over small potholes. If i go over the potholes without braking the front suspension seems to be okay, no noises. When I brake over flat surfaces theres no problem either. Something feels loose only when braking over rough patches on road.

I've told the dealer about this when I did my service B (3 weeks ago) and the service advisor told me that the suspension was okay. I was thinking theres something wrong with my front brakes. What do you guys think?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by bajaiman; 04-18-2003 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:03 PM

'03 C230K
We had some come in with a loose sway bar link in the front left, it makes a lot of noise when you go over bumps. The brakes shouldnt really have that effect. One C that I worked on came from another tech in the shop who told me to put a sway bar link on it but I checked it first and it was only loose. So make them check it right cause some guys dont even look that hard and miss things.

2003 C230k magma, c5 , c7, 6 spd
Old 04-18-2003, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the reply 230KBenz . This happened since 4 months ago or so, and it only do rough rattle or shuddering when I applied brakes (medium pressure) over potholes. 2 weeks ago I've installed C32 AMG swaybars and I've tightened every bolts and the problem is still there. I think I'll go to dealer in the next few weeks or so to get the brake/suspension checked before I install my C32 front brakes which are on order.
However, I'm still open for other suggestions of what could've caused this problem.

Cheers.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:44 AM

2002 C240 Classic
i have the exact same problem. supposedly, many c class owners are experiencing this. first, let me know what the dealer says when you bring it in and see if they fix it. other than that, i believe that it is the sway bar bushings that have collected dirt in them. a few members have told me this and that MB is making new, updated bushings, but i haven't heard of anything like this yet from the dealer. try replacing the bushings in the front sway bars and see if it goes away. they're only a few dollars so its worth the try. let me know as im going to solve this problem in the next few days.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:58 AM

When I installed my C32 swaybars front and back I also got the correct bushings for the swaybars and I tightened it quite/very tight too, so I'm quite sure that the swaybars or the bushing is not causing this problem. If it is then the suspension always rattleing everytime I hit potholes.
I suspect something loose with the brakes, but this is just what I think. Maybe mbtech208 can give us a few pointers.

Antonio, please keep me updated with your progress...cool?

Cheers
Old 04-19-2003, 07:10 PM

'03 C230K
One thing that makes it tough is you guys have a lot of aftermarket parts that could be interfering too. Dont forget to over look that stuff too.

2003 230k magma c5 c7 6spd.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:58 PM

2003 s500 sport
Funny but I might have a similiar problem on my bone stock 98 e430.
Very recently I noticed this sound coming from my front while lightly braking. It sounds like (use your imagination now "drrrrrrrrr") very muffled sound and might be overlooked but it definitelly does not sound right. It does not heppen when I press the brakes hard, only when applying preassure lightly. I can feel the vibration through the pedal but not like ABS. I don't know if the brake pads need changing but I don't get any warning light. It definitelly worries me a little and will need to get checked out.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:52 PM

Well...finally the problem was fixed. I brought it to the dealer and they said that they've replaced (under warranty) the lower controller arm on the front left side as it was worn out. That seems to do the trick as my car is not making that rough feeling when applying the brakes with moderate pressure over potholes. It feels solid now specially the front left side, altho the right side is not as solid...maybe I'll get that replaced before the warranty runs out.

Thanks for anyone who replied
Old 05-10-2003, 03:13 PM

2002 C240 Classic
good to hear, i just got mine fixed also. turns out they replaced the stabilizer end links with new, updated ones as well as the front sway bar bushing. my front end is so tight now, i love it!!!

hope this thread helps others if they encounter the same problem.