Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 speedometer into a 2000 clk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 09:50 AM
eee
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 speedometer into a 2000 clk

I bought a 2001 clk 430 speedometer because I like the grey face and I wanted the digital speed readout. I have a 2000 clk 320. My question is this; Can the dealer adjust the miles to reflect the proper amount and second, why is the engine check light and defective display illuminated? Will they be able to resolve this problem also? THanks.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:51 PM

'03 C230K
there is a chance the dealer can set the version coding right, but they will have to send out the cluster for the mileage if its even possible. The PDC sets mileage on new clusters before they come to the dealership and i think they can only be set once.

2003 C230k magma, c5 , c7, 6 spd
Old 04-18-2003, 08:05 PM
eee
Almost a Member!

what is PDC?

What is the PDC? Is there a computer in the car, besides the one in the speedo that tracks the mileage? I don't want both speedo's to read, "display defective". Can you tell me why I am getting these error readings with the new speedo?

I put the old one back in cause I thought the car sent the correct mileage to the speedo, I didn't know the speedo had its own mileage. I don't want misrepresent the proper mileage. I know have about 1 more mile on my car than my original speedo states. Will that screw anything up?

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:24 PM

'03 C230K
The parts distribution center , The instrument cluster is the only place where mileage is stored. When you install a new cluster you have to download all the information out of the old cluster into the benz factory scan tool, then install the new cluster and upload all that information into the new one. The only thing not done at the dealer is mileage. The other stuff is things like engine model, country version, trans model, optional equipment, and lots of other stuff you would never think the instrument cluster needs to know. whats happening is that so many thing are not matching up it just puts "display defective" on the screen. 1 mile difference wont hurt anything as long as you DONT TELL ANYONE.

2003 C230k magma, c5 , c7, 6 spd