Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ML350 Engine Knock on start up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
ML350 Engine Knock on start up

I have a 2010 ML350 with 5,00 miles that has an engine knock on start up. It sounds like a bearing knock and lasts about 2-3 seconds. It is in for service now and I have been contacted by the service rep and told that this is a "normal noise for this vehicle". I have asked for detail as to what and why this knock is occuring. I have also asked for an official MB statement that this is a normal engine characteristic and will not affect engine life. I have never owned another new vehicle that has had this problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 AM

ML350
Originally Posted by LeeB41
I have a 2010 ML350 with 5,00 miles that has an engine knock on start up. It sounds like a bearing knock and lasts about 2-3 seconds. It is in for service now and I have been contacted by the service rep and told that this is a "normal noise for this vehicle". I have asked for detail as to what and why this knock is occuring. I have also asked for an official MB statement that this is a normal engine characteristic and will not affect engine life. I have never owned another new vehicle that has had this problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Both of my C300 and ML350 making the same noise. When I start my car after it has been fully warmed up and sat for a couple hours it makes a knocking noise that goes away after about 3~5 seconds. I've never heard anything like this before, not on my aunt's GLK, not on my cusin's C200 CGI. When I mentioned it to the dealer for the A service, they couldn't duplicate the problem. I don't think it is actually engine knock, because the sound slows down and fades away after it is started.

After repeating visits to my dealer, they probably got fed up and finally told me the noise is made by bearings which can be fixed by replacing it, but the dealer guaranteed nothing. Therefore, I am not so sure is I should go ahead and replace the bearings because they are not 100% sure it is caused by the improper sized bearings. I feel there is something to do with the under-pressured oil at start-up. I actually has a sound record of this noise with me, let me know if you interest in listening to it.

Last edited by shogun2010; 05-31-2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: add one more sentence
Old 05-31-2011, 03:37 AM

ML350
By the way, I have a sound record posted here. Please listen and see if we are talking about the same noise or not.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204...-start-up.html
Old 06-15-2011, 11:28 PM

2009 E350
I have the same noise on my 09 E350 but dont know if we all drive these the same way. It sounds like a rod knocking inside the block but it fades after a few seconds . Lease is up soon : )
Old 06-18-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
There are internal "knock" sensors within the engine that will quickly adjust the engine"tune" to eliminate knock. From what I've read, knock within these engines usually comes from from using lower octane fuel than recommended.

At start up, the engine may be "knocking" and the tune gets adjusted to compensate....my 2 cents.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 E350 ,
it is the camshaft adjusters ,they retard at start up,it causes a slight rattle /knock noise briefly ,normal operation for this engine ,