Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2003 | 09:30 AM
Almost a Member!

MB
Question Climate Control

Do you shut off your Climate Control before you turn off engine or not? Any advantages if you do or don't shut off?
Old 04-24-2003 | 11:40 AM

i shut off everything b4 i turn the car off.
Old 04-24-2003 | 04:18 PM
Almost a Member!

MB
I do the same thing. But I know people who don't and Dealer said you don't have to because compressor does not turn on right away anyway is this true? If it is then you will save wear and tear on your c/c buttons since there's no switch to turn off automatically. Will it retain moisture in the duct or pan if you don't turn it off?
Old 04-25-2003 | 05:35 PM
Almost a Member!

MB
This probably answers my question(s):

Originally posted by Darkmann
I tend to agree with the dealer that there's nothing wrong with the vehicle. The condensation you see is a natural phenomenon and may not occur all the time depending on the weather conditions. If you have the windows up, then it will most likely occur all the time when the A/C is in OFF position - just from breathing and other evaporations in the vehicle. I believe late model MB vehicles (and other manufacturers) design new cars to turn on the compressor for a short while as your key engages the "ON" position. The reason for this is to have the A/C operate for a short period so that the condensation doesn't occur. Now, if you turn your A/C off, you'll have condensation. Notice that the manual says that the A/C system in AUTO mode is always ready. So just leave it in AUTO mode and set your desired temps.

The second reason the system should be on is to avoid fungi growth in the system. Depending on your ambient conditions, "things" (living organisms) may grow in there and cause a bad stench. Leaving it OFF is a catalyst for such growth. Leave it in AUTO and you'll have no problems.