Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HAving issues with installing D2S bulbs (video attached)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
a little bit of this... a little bit of that
HAving issues with installing D2S bulbs (video attached)

Ok. Being the kind of guy that is mechanically inclined, I thought it would be an easy breeze to replace the Bi-Xenon headlight (D2S) bulbs. I am upgrading to a 6000K from the 4300K and am using Phillips bulbs so am replacing both bulbs.

It was pretty straightforward releasing the rear cover, removing the metal end piece that holds the back of the bulb, releasing the 2 metal clips on each side that hold the bulb in place and then replacing the bulbs.

My issue that I can't get around now (2nd to last step of finishing it), is that now that the new bulb is in on each side, the piece that attaches to the rear of the bulb will go into the "open" position but will not lock in place. I have tried it with the pigtail harness attached to the rear housing as well as removed to put on after it is locked in place. For some reason, it won't go back to locked.

Any suggestions? I have supplied a short video showing where I am at with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOH0HdvAU8Y
Old 11-14-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
a little bit of this... a little bit of that
almost 100 views and noone hs any suggestions (besides going to a shop tomorrow)?
Old 11-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I JUST installed..it's a BIT$H...sorry for my language..but you dont understand how much time i was trying to get this in..i finallly got it in..but before i tell you how i did it..let me tell you what i was doing wrong...when i first was attempting to get it in(bulb + metal box end into the headlight housing)..i put the bulb in the metal box end first..thennn i tried to put that into the headlight housing hole..HUGE MISTAKe..I just didnt know it at the time ...it wouldnt click in like you said....

After a while i tried a different method..i put the bulb into the headlight housing first...and made sure the metal clips were pushing in to hold it..thennn i put the metal end on and basically snapped into place sooo easily..not sure if this is what you are seeing but that was my prob....

..thing that sucked tho..after all that trouble..i think i got the wrong bulb..the new one seems yellow
Old 11-27-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
I also had the same problem on the driver's side light. I finally turned the box a quarter turn and got it to lock in place. The lights work just fine.

However, now after installing the lights, I have a warning light on saying the my active cornering lights are not available. Does anyone know why this warning light it on? I