Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent no cranking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 12:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 C280 W202
Intermittent no cranking

Normally my 1994 W202 starts first time but occasionally the cranking starts but doesn't fire. All panel lights show. Check engine light does not appear. After two or three tries it will start fine, at least so far. My thoughts is the ignition switch or perhaps the auto transmission position switch that prevents it starting if in gear, which it is not. Starter motor appears to function properly at all other times. Any thoughts please.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
How about a fuel pressure regulator that is leaking? Doesn't keep pressure in the rail, and after 2 or 3 tries you've built up the fuel pressure and the car starts.

When the car doesn't start normally, is it after it sits for awhile?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:35 PM

1994 C280 W202
Don't think so

Originally Posted by kjb55
How about a fuel pressure regulator that is leaking? Doesn't keep pressure in the rail, and after 2 or 3 tries you've built up the fuel pressure and the car starts.

When the car doesn't start normally, is it after it sits for awhile?
It is not that regular. It only does it now and a again and at different circumstances. No fuel leaks either.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
With those circumstances, it will make it even tougher to diagnose.

Just to note: A leaking fuel pressure regulator most likely won't leak externally. By leaking, I meant to say that it's an internal leak and allowing the fuel in the rail to leak back to the tank, rather than keep the pressure and fuel in the rail.

When it cranks, but doesn't start... are you sure that the starter is actually engaging and not just free spinning?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 PM

1994 C280 W202
Not Starter motor "unless "

Originally Posted by kjb55
With those circumstances, it will make it even tougher to diagnose.

Just to note: A leaking fuel pressure regulator most likely won't leak externally. By leaking, I meant to say that it's an internal leak and allowing the fuel in the rail to leak back to the tank, rather than keep the pressure and fuel in the rail.

When it cranks, but doesn't start... are you sure that the starter is actually engaging and not just free spinning?
there is an electrical miss connection
There is no click, no sound whatever other than the dash lights come up and silence, that is why I wondered if it was the switch or the transmission position sensor. I understand that some ignition switches have problems but my understanding is that the tumblers become dislodged and the key will not turn requiring a new switch . However I am unaware of the switch causing my type of problem on none start. I do not think it is fuel related. Turning the key back and trying again a couple or three times ususlly does the trick.