Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun Blind for rear window Stuck Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Sun Blind for rear window Stuck Up

C320 2001 rear sun blind screen is stuck in up position. Checked fuses #20 & #41 and both seem to be good. Toggle switch and I hear a click in the blind area, but no action. I'm bettin this is another common Benz issue and hoping that one of you would be so kind as to give any suggestions to look into.
Thanks in advance . . . it's good be in such great company.
(That's me on the right).
Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Common problem that usually can be solved by removing blind mechanism, cleaning out gunked up grease, and lightly regreasing before replacement. A temporary fix is to help the blind along with your hand as someone is activating the switch.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
The assembly is attached to the fiber board rear deck with press fit plastic fasteners. The sun damages those fasteners (ironic, I know). Most likely when you raised it, those fasteners broke, and the shade slipped either forward or backward in the opening and is binding, not allowing it to retract.

I would have someone hold it perpendicular to the deck while you try and lower it via the switch.

The bad - it's a helluva job to remove that rear deck, and you'll break the seat back clips in the process - but those are cheap <$2 each.

Once it's removed, it's an easy fix to drill holes and secure the sun shade properly. I used black cap screws from Ace Hardware that matched my black interior and back deck color perfectly. Looks completely factory, and their hidden in the recess, and unless you're looking you'll never notice.

Sorry, but no pics, and the car is in storage not easily accessible.

Good luck.

Last edited by kjb55; 01-08-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-09-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Blind and Stuck

Thank you both for your replies and suggestions. Will give it a try and see what I can get done.
Thank you very much again for your time.