Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petro CHEMICAL ENGINEERS- 2 questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:50 PM
mlg

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
06 C350 sport 6MT
Petro CHEMICAL ENGINEERS- 2 questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

car w 38kmiles want to keep injectors and combustion chamber and valves clean, want every hp avail. there are many products avail that u add to gas advertised to do this, ie. stp, techron , valvoline, and a new one i found called BG 44k- quite pricey but claims its as good as gold. what do u recommend and how often? i drive very spiritedly and use 93 octane shell or bp gas.
Q2. MB recs complex grease, mb lubrication paste for sliding blocks on sliding sunroof, fluid grease for door lock pin and striker eye, liquid grease for door locks ie. Exxon chassis grease LBZ , power steering fluid ie. pentosin ch f11s. The dealer is a 60 mile round trip, i have silicone spray, wd40, marine wheel bearing grease , white lithium grease in a tube, and powdered graphite. autozone is 5 mins from me. will any of my supplies be an adequete substitute to any of the above, or something i can get at autozone?? btw, they do not carry pentosin
thanx, mike
Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600 r230, SL600 r129,, SL500 r230, ML320, C280 Sport, 190e 2.3 16V (2)
Just use good gas, and switch it once in a while. If you are partial to, say, Shell, use it exclusively, and then every 6 months or so, use, say, BP for a few weeks, then go back to your Shell.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 AM

240D
Re: question 1, as near as I can tell most all of those additives are a rip-off of one sort or another. 93 gas is fine. If you can avoid the ethanol-diluted stuff, that would be good, but it's not always possible. Yes it's true that ethanol is used straight in racecars, but it will wear out the engine quickly through overheating.

Re: Question 2, complex grease == lithium grease, or your marine bearing grease will also work fine. Lubrication paste, I don't know that Autozone will have it, the Dow formulation has molybdenum in it. Marine grease would work in a pinch if you have nothing else, but those tracks should rarely require grease at all. For door lock pins and things like that, your big worry is that the solvent in the grease will damage the plastic or the coating/finish of the part. I wouldn't use silicone spray, and lithium is just going to gunk it up. 5W-30 would probably be fine. Jeez, veggie oil would probably be fine for that matter, but it would drip off and make a mess.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:10 PM
mlg

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
06 C350 sport 6MT
thanx for all the info, mike
Old 01-30-2011, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
[quote=Brunhilde;4472842]Yes it's true that ethanol is used straight in racecars, but it will wear out the engine quickly through overheating. /quote]

Who told you ethanol makes your engine run hotter? In fact it does an awesome job of cleaning and runs cooler. I run E85 in my race car and an ethanol based fuel is badass. I gained over 100WHP with it over leaded race gas.

Aaron
Old 01-30-2011, 09:32 PM

240D
Originally Posted by WHTEVO

Who told you ethanol makes your engine run hotter? In fact it does an awesome job of cleaning and runs cooler. I run E85 in my race car and an ethanol based fuel is badass. I gained over 100WHP with it over leaded race gas.

Aaron
One of my co-workers had an old car that was failing emissions checks, so she ran ethanol in it during the emissions inspection. She then called me to come pick her up after her car overheated. Race cars, even rally cars are built very differently, with different ranges of efficiency and different optimum temps, different cooling systems. I've actually seen rally-type cooling systems retrofitted to a regular Mercedes, as the standard radiators that come in the car were barely adequate for the '70s and '80s era cars--helps a lot if you live in Arizona.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Well i know several people who have changed to an ethanol based fuel/ E85 just for the sole purpose of using a different fuel. And no overheating issues. If a car is overheating it has other issues not related to the fuel. If she was not "tuned" to run ethanol in her car, then she would encounter problems as it requires ~30% more fuel to run it over gasoline. I cut my cooling system almost in half because of the turbo system i run on my car and i have zero cooling issues. All of this is a moot issue but just giving my opinion on the subject.

Aaron
Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
After-market fuel additives are the snake oil of the 21st century!