Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fyi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Fyi

I know there's been a load of questions about the FSS and oil changes. If you read my earlier posts, my '01 E430 will soon be due for its first service. I plan to have the service people give me a quart of the oil from the c'case for analysis. I'll post the results here. For background: My wife drives the car mostly - real torture 'cause she's just a whole eight of a miles from work!!! I've suggested walking instead, but she LOVES her Benz, especially the heated seats!!! Can't argue with that. For this reason, once a week, I really drive the car - 90+ on highways. It's got 11K on it now and 85% of that is highway (me driving). I am really curious to see what the oil analysis turns out. I know of a few outlets that do this analysis thing but 'am welcome to any suggestions.
Old 02-10-2002, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Please let us know the results.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 320
Oil Analysis

I am very anxious to hear your results. I posted elsewhere that, up until recently, my dealer would perfrom either an "A" or "B" Service annually under warranty. Apparently, Mercedes has started to deny such claims. The new rule, at my dealer anyway, is to perfom an "A" or "B" Service if either the FSS says to, or either 2 years or 14,000 miles have gone by since the last oil change. For those of us with low mileage cars this is a problem. I actually had the oil changed at 1,000 miles because my car was built right at the point that the factory was switching over to Mobil 1. Since there was no way to be sure if it got Mobil 1, I decided to pay for an oil change in order to be sure. Now, the dealer is trying to convince me that any changes above and beyond the new guidelines are nothing but a waste of money. Hence, I am very interested in an objective analysis.

Last edited by CLK 320; 02-10-2002 at 10:35 AM.