Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

w203 rear SAM control module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w203 c240
w203 rear SAM control module

Hi guys. Anybody know if the SAM module in the boot/trunk is a straight forward swap/replace or will it need to be reset at main dealer ?. Got left rear indicator, left stop, left reverse light, electric boot/trunk release & fuel gauge fault all which seem to be controlled by this unit. It makes a rapid clicking sound but even with the relays removed it still does it. Guess its knackered eh !.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E63, 04 discovery
its an easy swap and almost everything should work just fine. Unless you have any problems with options, the lights and everything else should work fine.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 PM

02 C240 Sport
As this post still shows in a search for rear SAM replacement here's my experience. (I'm sure your issue has been resolved sometime ago).
But new seekers may find this valuable.

I had a problem with a used 02 W203 I purchased. No back up lights or left rear signal, read window shade inop. All the bulbs were good and no fast blink as left front and mirror signals ok. When signaling left, and touching the brake, the central brake light would actually blink and intermittent back up lights would come on and then go off.

Turned out it was a salvaged SAM from another make and model wrong part#.
I found a used correct part on eBay for $120 US. A simple replacement with one *caveat:

After accessing you should likely remove the sticky wrapping cloth that MB uses to secure the wire bundle. This will give you greater travel/length of the individual wired connectors to reach the new unit. You'll need some good hand cleaner when you finish. Then lay units side by side. You'll have to pop off the metal retaining bracket that holds unit to trunk and an electronic module that slides into the top of that bracket... set to the side.

Working from the bottom up (away from you toward you) transfer all the connectors to the new unit. Re-attach the metal bracket and module.
*Caveat in the old unit there will be a black relay in slot A that is not duplicated in the new unit, (though all other fuses and relays are already in place).

I missed that in my original install. On first test all lights worked perfectly but when started the engine would fire and then shut down. After a brief Beer timeout with a nice Warsteiner Pilsner I went back to check and compare the units. That's when I noticed the extra relay in the old unit. Turns out it was the fuel pump relay. Once removed and inserted into the new unit... Bingo!

Best of Luck!
Paul
Attached Thumbnails w203 rear SAM control module-rear-sam-install-y.jpg  

Last edited by goinwest; 01-30-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 AM

2008 C200 Kompressor
Thank you for sharing your experience.