Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E250 W124 series Diff set up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E250
E250 W124 series Diff set up

Hi there,
I have this model car without ASD, and have found out that all my planetary gears are U/S as well as all the carrier and pinion bearings. It seems straight forward enough as reassembling is all done with circlips and as long as I use the same shims, backlash, carrier preload and pinion depth should be fine.

The only problem I think I have, is not knowing the pinion preload, this would normally be done by a predetermined torque setting on the pinion flange nut which tends to collapse a spacer fitted between the two pinion bearings, is anyone out there have this information?

I have asked the service desk at Mercedes Benz where I purchased the bearing/seal kit and the planetary kit all for £346.00, but they refuse to give me the technical data on this as they reckon they risk prosecution should things go wrong??? They did however say that if I brought them the bits and stripped differential then they would reassemble this for me. I bet they would and I would have to take out a mortgage just to pay them for this service. I have been doing haulage truck differentials for years now so I am not new at this game, so if there is anybody out there that can help with this matter please let me know.

Look forward to your help on this thanks.

Last edited by Zimmo; 03-11-2011 at 02:41 AM.