Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cooling system problems- please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like airplane
cooling system problems- please help

How would you troubleshoot?

Seems that it running the heat with the coolant system open and letting the bubbles work their way out isn't doing it.

Is the coolant even cycling through the whole system? Can this be a thermostat issue?

I replaced the thermostat about 3 years back.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:36 PM

1998 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG
Originally Posted by silence
How would you troubleshoot?

Seems that it running the heat with the coolant system open and letting the bubbles work their way out isn't doing it.

Is the coolant even cycling through the whole system? Can this be a thermostat issue?

I replaced the thermostat about 3 years back.
water pump?
Old 03-20-2011, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
I replaced my ic pump, and when I bled it with the heat on, nothing was flowing through the bleed nipple. Although based on engine temps, it was on. ( with the engine @90C, the temps dropped to 85C with full on heat and constant 2600rpm revs) so although it was working it did not flow through to nipple...
Old 03-20-2011, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
yeah, I'm hoping it's not the water pump.

what's the way to test if it is the water pump?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:46 PM

1998 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG
id try to see if you have any leaks. look for coolant on the garage floor.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
No coolant making it to floor- I too thought it was possible that a small leak could lead to the problems. I suppose I could have a small leak that is letting gas in.

I can also visualize the pump working poorly leading to my issues- but that would only get air bubbles if I overheated it to the point of boiling, right? There seems to consistently be air bubbles working their way through no matter what I do to try to get rid of them. They reform while driving carefully and begin at normal driving temperatures (not just when it gets hot)

The car has basically been stored for 2 years- today is the 3rd time it's been driven. I'm going to try and start over with fresh coolant and double check things as much as possible as I go.

Any further help would be appreciated!

Last edited by silence; 03-20-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
the pump is an easy DIY if you have to replace it. If you want to know how, PM me for every detail there is to doing it.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
update-

started over again and made some improvement. Car doesn't overheat. Heat blows hot (most of the time).

Still not quite right though... someone treat me like I'm a baby and tell me the right protocol for adding coolant. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
make sure the cars not above 80*C and open the cap, pour water/coolant in enough to cover the little plastic strip and cap it off until it clicks like the gas cap
Old 03-20-2011, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
when i changed my pump and bled it, i still had to add coolant as time went by and more air escaped.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
only got a bit more time with it since last post- had to take the sequoia and get groceries/dinner etc.

It appears to be getting better and the level dropped as I drove it once again. I wonder if the system wasn't just super low from sitting and now it's being a pain to fill all the way back up with no air bubbles.

I can hear slurping/scratching/popping (like a woodchuck trying to escape) from inside the dash every once in a while when driving.

I'll keep at it- still wondering if there isn't some trick to getting rid of the air. I seem to remember some trick I used to do it when I did the t-stat, but now I can't remember.

One thing is for sure- It was a mistake not to drive this car much the last two years. Holy crap does it ever get up over 120 or 130 in a hurry.