Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extrude Hone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extrude Hone

I posted this in the clk 208 forum I thought I would try here also

Anyone have extrude hone done to their car. It's a procedure in which the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold are removed from the car and then they are placed in a machine that basically smooths the internal metal chambers and makes them a little bigger. This allows superior air flow to the exhaust. And with a quality exhaust this should be able to add a true 30 at the wheel horse power. Plus whatever you would get from the exhaust.

I've talked to a local company where I live, the only one who can do this procedure, and they're so convinced that I will be impressed that they said they won't charge me until the job is complete and the car is dyno'd. If I don't get 30 horse they said that they would adjust the price accordingly. It should be around a $1000 for the complete job.

It sounds like a good deal but I don't want to tear my car apart for no reason. So if anyone out there has heard of this or tried it any input would be appreciated.

www.extrudehone.com/automotiveoem.html
Old 05-14-2003, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
It is more commonly known as 'ported and polished'. It will help some, how much depends on too many factors to list. 30 hp is optomistic I think.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:28 PM

well is your intake aluminum or composite plastic, or whatever they use now?
Old 05-14-2003, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
You Would Be Better Off By Installing a set of Headers and Power Pullies for Real Gains...The Extrude Hone Will Give you gains of 8hp where the headers will give you 12hp so do the math...Yes I Have Done The Extrude Hone before it works but the Price is High and Gains are NOT 30HP!!!! If You Do It Dyno the car before and After...So How Much Will They ADJUST the Price if it does NOT meet the 30HP?
Old 05-15-2003, 02:19 AM

they'll adjust the price according to how much I get. i.e 15 horse will be $500. You mentioned that you had yours done. Did you do both the intake and the exhaust manifold. and did you dyno your car before and after. From everyone I've talked to so far 8 horse seems a little low. Thanks
Old 05-27-2003, 11:04 PM

Id stay away from this unless you have exhuasted the list of performance mods to your car. The process works well on poorly manufactured parts (read: not german) but 30hp is almost inpossible unless the car was restricted from the factory on purpose such as the older model v6 Nissan Maximas. Id really be surprised if you got more than 7-8 hp from both intake and exhaust honing on your car, because remember, unlike many other cars, you aren't smoothing out poor manufacturing, you are just doing what would uneconomical for a large scale manufacturer to do from the factory.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the ultimate gains from this are acheived in conjunction with increased exhaust and intake performance. While the car is apart, it could benefit from a valve job too.