Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W208 Rear EBrake Dissasembly???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 CLK 430
Angry W208 Rear EBrake Dissasembly???

Ok here is my problem, The vehicle is an 02 CLK430 Coupe and (my friend) hit a curb with the face of the right rear wheel while being stupid...
This destroyed the cv axle, control arm, tie rod, and sway bar link. The bushing that goes in the knuckle where the control arm attaches also looks questionable, and now that I have everything almost taken apart I just found a rough spot in the wheel bearing rotation, so it would be wise to replace that as well. Now the issue is taking apart the ebrake in order to disconnect the cable, and take the knuckle to a machine shop and have them replace that bushing, and bearing. I have pretty much everything else disconnected, or confident about being able to do so. The ebrake is pretty confusing. So far I removed the spring and adjuster, but what about those spring type things that hold the shoes to the backing plate? How the hell do I remove those? I appear to just be mangling them, without even coming close to removal. The other spring is tight too. I have basic brake tools that served me well when I have had to to rear drum brakes in the old days, but this is just over the top. Ohh yeah, just getting the rotor off was a multi day struggle where I sprayed PBBlaster evey which way , and beat the hell out of it. After sevral days a rubber mallet did the trick. Thanks for any help, I sure need it. I also added some pictures of what I'm up against.
Attached Thumbnails W208 Rear EBrake Dissasembly???-p3260631.jpg   W208 Rear EBrake Dissasembly???-p3310639.jpg   W208 Rear EBrake Dissasembly???-p3310642.jpg   W208 Rear EBrake Dissasembly???-p3310645.jpg   W208 Rear EBrake Dissasembly???-iphone-032.jpg  

Last edited by ShinyRedR1; 03-31-2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: forgot a detail
Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 CLK 430
Ok I got it apart, the springs were all pretty tight but the ones that hold the the shoes to the backing plate were just pretty damm tight. However after pushing in on them with pliars and twisting them around I was able to release them.