Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it normal for a pre-1995 T1 van with the OM601 diesel engine to stall at idle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 308D and 406D vans
is it normal for a pre-1995 T1 van with the OM601 diesel engine to stall at idle?

I want to ask anyone who has driven a pre-1995 Mercedes-Benz T1 van (pre-Sprinter) with the OM601 diesel engine with a manual transmission, to tell me if while driving you slowly take your foot off the accelerator pedal, while a gear is engaged, on a flat road, does the vehicle continue moving when you take your foot completely off the accelerator pedal? Or does the engine always stall in such situation?

I remember when driving a passenger car, when I took my foot off the accelerator pedal completely, but remained in gear, the car would normally continue to move at some low speed, different for each gear, more or less constant for each gear (provided the road is flat).

Now I drive the T1 van, and I am surprised it doesn't behave like that. No matter what speed I drive, even if the road is flat, no matter which gear I am in, if I take the foot off the accelerator pedal completely, the van soon comes to a stop, the engine shuts down, and that's it. It seems that the max engine torque at idle speed is not enough to keep the van moving.

It is a:

* Mercedes-Benz 308D year 1992, model 602.316, curb weight 2035 kg (4486 lb)
* OM601.940 4-cylinder 58 kW (79 hp) 2299 dm3 diesel engine
* manual transmission

Is it normal for this van to behave like this? Can something be regulated to make it continue moving at a constant slow speed when I take the foot off the accelerator pedal?