Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 MB C220 dead...almost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 C220
1994 MB C220 dead...almost

I've got an oddity with my C220. Car had been running quite well with an occasional stutter / hesitation. Figured it was fuel related so changed the fuel filter and all was good for about a week until I ended up bringing it home on a flatbed. Now the car will start up and idle for about 5 seconds and then die. I can then start it up again, run another 5 seconds and die. When the car starts and I try to rev it up, there is no increase in rpm...just idle and die. If I start it with the gas pedal floored it will sputter, pop, and somewhat run until I let off on the gas and it then will die. Then turn the key and it will start right up, run for 5 seconds and die. Guessing it may be a throttle position sensor or?? It's got me and my mechanic buddies a bit baffled and I sure miss driving it.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 C220
At the advice of a local Mercedes shop who I hoped could scan the car but didn't have the correct computer needs, I was told it was most likely a bad crankshaft sensor. Just for the hell of it, I pulled the MAF which I had replaced two months ago and sprayed it with MAF cleaner. Reinstalled it, the car started right up and now runs fine. Screwed around with the car for weeks and ended up being a 10 minute fix.