Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

800-BENZ-SOS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85' W201 2.3
800-BENZ-SOS

Hello MBWorld. I drive a 85' 190e 2.3 8v stick-shift w/ a quarter million plus miles.

Needless to say in this forum but, these cars pretty much R.U.L.E. , however as with all good things.. Finally managed to blow the head gasket. Decided to look for a runner with a donor motor to swap in.*

Found a 92' 2.3 automatic with what I believe is an identical crank and head assembly. The motor ran pretty sweet for 191k, oil pressure gauge pinned to 3 instantly on startup, idle kicked down and I thought the temp sensor was broken after running for nearly five minutes, it barely rose above 40c mark. The car was on blocks and beginning to sink into the earth. Owner said motor runs but, "car just doesn't drive". Body on this 92' appeared straight, with the exception of the painted bumpers and door handles?!*

Offered $300US and after levitating it out of the earth, trailered my new Mercedes parts home! The 92' appears to be a fine successor to my old 85'. ABS brakes, Motorized seat control, lil extra tilt on the moonroof, crack free dashboard w/ all the electronics pretty well in tack.

Upon getting the car home and giving a more complete survey, I found two things:*

** * * * * #1 auto tran is completely disconnected from the driveshaft, and the driveshaft is also missing the entire bushing and poss. CenterBearing assembly that holds the driveshaft in place not far from were the trans linkage ends.

** * * * *#2 there was a collision w/ something dense. right rear frame has been struck on the vary point where the control arm connects is bent 2.5" - 3" towards the rear of the vehicle?! It puts a noticeable cant in the rear wheels stance.*

anyhow.. my question. go with original plan of using the 92' as part donor for the 85' (which in many respects is still alot closer to being a stock classic, than the semi-hacked 92' complete with it's csi approved crime scene of paint.)

Or I have way considered putting the manual trans in the 92'. that was before I found the driveline disconnect and frame damage. With the driveshaft reconnected this car may drive. However heating, beating, putting a come-along on the right rear would also have to be addressed.

So with these two MBs in the garage, the motor and trans pulled from the 85' and is in the process of disassembly and nearly on engine-stand (conrod bolts holding flywheel giving me a bit of a hassle.) I'd like to drive one of these machines out of the garage in the near future any thoughts.