Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W202 Rear Subframe: Frame Repair Question. body shop frame report

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190D
W202 Rear Subframe: Frame Repair Question. body shop frame report

An acquaintance of mine has had several incidents that have damaged his W202 C230. The last incident has damaged the main control arm mount on the rear subframe. The body shop has indicated that the body would need to be straightened before the new subframe would mount.

I need to know if the new subframe will fit and get the car mobile again. I understand that the body shop wants to repair the whole thing, but it just needs to be mobile at this time.

The photo is of the report from the body shop:
Old 05-31-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 ml350
I bet with enough persuasion the new rear sub-frame could be bent to fit, but to what purpose? I would just stick with the existing crashed sub-frame and use a car dolly to move the vehicle to get it "mobile".

Even if you could get the sub-frame to fit (which it shouldn't without modification) you will not have enough adjustment to set the alignment.

If you are going to put it on the road then... Bite the bullet and get it straightened. If the car is that marginal to you that you don't want to spend the money, then just cut your losses and scrap the car now.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:38 PM

2000 C230K, 1929 Ford P.U., 1946 Pontiac
Don't worry about that body diagram, that's just specs. for the frame machine and the body man. There's 2hrs. tear down, 2hrs. set-up and 6 hours pull time, though it will only take a good bodyman about 6 hours, They will get the damaged area with in specs. to mount the new part, then it will need a rear alignment. I was in the business 25 years. Let them do the job if your going to keep the car.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:39 PM

You have options above.

I do not fully understand your needs.

Perhaps what the body shop is saying is that the body panels and wheel houses needed to be pulled out of the way and aligned (or pulled and removed) so the new subframe can be installed.

Pulling the wheel house et al before removal may help save those parts instead of having to purchase replacement parts.

Crashing sucks and specialized tools (and a work garage) are sometimes needed to repair...even repairing 1/2 way.

Again, I do not fully understand your inquiry.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 PM

2000 C230K, 1929 Ford P.U., 1946 Pontiac
That's exactly what they are saying, pull and align the body before replacing the sub-frame, as long as it's within 1/16 to 1/8 your good, then they can bolt up the replacement parts. Used or New it won't matter, that's a gravy job, all day long... :-)