Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID headlight solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK
HID headlight solution?

Now I'm not a car driver, so I'm not sure how this idea is going to be received but I after having seen a story on HID (bi-xenon) headlights on the BBC today (of which there will no doubt be a short lived spike in interest) I got thinking to a compromise.

Right now, as I understand it, there are two types of headlight modes, dipped and bright. It got me immediately thinking of the American TV series Generation Kill (HBO) where white often the first person view from the solderers would be used, and in night (vision) mode. That made everything green but when they wanted to highlight something they'd use a laser in that visual spectrum rather than the one our eyes can see.

As BMW and Mercedes are probably going to be the main culprits over this campaign they will most likely also be the ones already looking into technology like this. Its their territory. So why not have the complete windscreen sensitive to a different spectrum of light showing everything as if it were daytime by using lasers instead of lights. Then just use a dimmer light in the spectrum oncoming road users and pedestrians can see in so as not to dazzle them.

The best of both worlds?!

Ref: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13143206