Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is going to hurt (my wallet)......W123

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TD
This is going to hurt (my wallet)......W123

Hi,

Today I was driving my 1982 300TD (300k miles) on the highway when the oil pressure gauge started dipping. I pulled over and found that the engine dipstick had pulled out 1 inch and oil had sprayed out of the dipstick tube all over the engine? There is also oil droplets all over the rear tailgate above the bumper which has to have been coming out of the exhaust I guess.

The car has been off the road for the past 18 months or so, and today was the first long run. Prior to this, I have had no problems with oil loss other than the inevitable engine leaks. I re-filled the engine oil and gingerly drove home.

Since I have had it (past 4 years) there has been quite a bit of oil blow back resulting in a fouled air filter - I gather this is due to leaky piston rings and resulting poor compression. If the piston rings are finally letting go, this would explain the oil coming out of the exhaust, but what would cause the dipstick to pop out and oil to pour everywhere (pressure I guess, but caused by what?).

Time for an engine rebuild??!

Any advice, comments appreciated!
Thanks in advance,

Quentin
Old 06-04-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TD
engine dumped oil while driving on highway