Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement keys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
Replacement keys

Hey guys:

Is there any way to get a replacement key for a keyless-go vehicle (2010 E550) without paying the dealer an arm plus half a leg??

I called these clowns up and they want around $350-400 for a darn key!!! Not to mention that I got no less than 3 different versions of what is needed to program the key to a keyless-go car. Some saying that the thing works right when sent from fort worth texas, some say it will need 1 hour of program time from the service department and some saying I need to bring the vehicle when ordering so they can test the car to see what key they need to order to work.

Who out there has one of those mercedes programmers that can possibly program these keys?? I'm sure there has got to be a locksmith out there who has invested in the system that is on ebay.

Are there any members on here who work for a dealer who can give us a non-insane price? I'm not trying to pay $400 for a darn key!

Last edited by nauticalx; 06-09-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E350
i just bought a key for my car. they do come from texas. keyless go keys are more expensive. It would be hard for someone to get you a discount because they require proof of ownership in order to submit the request for a key. they might tell you to bring the car in so they can block out a stolen/lost key. newer keys dont require programming and should turn and start the car instantlly. Due to the security involved I dont believe that equipment exists on the street for your perticular car .Sorry . Ask them for a discount especially at the place you got the car . also try getting the salesman who sold you the car to talk to the parts dept and see if he can get you a better deal. Good luck
Old 06-16-2011, 12:00 AM

E550C
thanks!

btw, i was thinking I could send a copy of my registration and photo ID to prove I own the vehicle in the event that there was a person/place away that could get me a deal...

Last edited by nauticalx; 06-16-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 PM

E550C
So if we have to order a key made especially for the vehicle via its VIN number from the dealer, why is it that the dealer claims they still need to program the vehicle so that the keyless-go works? They said it will start the car etc , but that keyless -go will not work without programming. What makes the keyless go of the dealer purchased key programmable to the vehicle but not some other keyless-go key purchased off ebay?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 PM

2009 E350
no key purchased off of ebay is good for anything but a paperweight. The key control module has keytracks. of 3 segments of 8 keys. so you can have a total of about 24 for keys for a car. this is because they have rolling codes for security. a key has a life of about 200k starts. Now there are only 2 setup for kg aka keyless go so that is why they may need to authorize/deauthorize "program" kg type of keys to ensure they work. ask them for more details but thats my 2 cents
Old 07-28-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
What amg305 said is valid. Every Mercedes Benz vehicle with FBS3 Drive authorization has 8 key tracks with 3 segments. It is only possible for one segment to be active at a time making it possible to only have 8 active keys at once. On The newer keyless go vehicles all 8 can be a KG key, however they can usually only be assigned to memory blocks 1&2.

When a key is ordered from Ft Worth it comes fully programmed and will start the car as well as all buttons work. However it is important to note that with KG keys they must be taught to the vehicle in order for KG to work. Since Ft Worth does not have the vehicle, they are unable to do this. In order to understand why, you would need to know how keyless go works, which I don't feel like typing out on a iPhone keyboard.

The new R231 and all new models will have FBS4 which can be completely programmed at the dealer.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:17 AM

Garage Temporarily Empty
My 2 Keless Go keys both had to be programmed at the dealer.