Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A kat question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2003 | 02:30 AM

A kat question Somebody must know the answer!!!

Who's replaced their kats?
I have been made recently aware that a clk has three kats. One that is located after the exhaust manifold and two that are located before the resonator. Has anyone replaced all three kats and if so were there any problems with the check engine light? and what kats did you use?

My concern is the o2 sensors. I'm not sure where they are located other then the two that are located before and after the pre kat. In many vehicles removing the kats or gutting them would generally increase horse power but will this be true with a mercedes. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by whiteyford; 05-27-2003 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2003 | 09:47 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 C230 Kompressor Sport
I've been scratching my head trying to figure our what "kats" means and finally realized you must be talking about catalytic converters.
Old 05-27-2003 | 11:14 PM

C32AMG
AND NEXT,

where are you going with this?.Removing the catalysts and/or the O2 sensors is both dumb and illegal.The only reason that justifies removing them is to run leaded fuel.
Old 05-27-2003 | 11:24 PM

2001 CLK 55
Re: AND NEXT,

Originally posted by Steve Clark
where are you going with this?.Removing the catalysts and/or the O2 sensors is both dumb and illegal.The only reason that justifies removing them is to run leaded fuel.
DAMN...WHO PISSED IN YOUR CEREAL THIS MORNING
Old 05-27-2003 | 11:54 PM

If you were struggling with what "kats" meant then I don't want your help. Removing the "KATS" will increase power, hopefully. and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to do this or who has done it. Every vehicle is different so that's why I posted the question. I want to know what kats to use if I want to replace them. I never mentioned removing o2 sensors. I want to find kats that will work on my car. Someone must know the answer. In future post I'll use "cats" instead.
Old 05-27-2003 | 11:59 PM

2001 CLK 55
Originally posted by whiteyford
If you were struggling with what "kats" meant then I don't want your help. Removing the "KATS" will increase power, hopefully. and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to do this or who has done it. Every vehicle is different so that's why I posted the question. I want to know what kats to use if I want to replace them. I never mentioned removing o2 sensors. I want to find kats that will work on my car. Someone must know the answer. In future post I'll use "cats" instead.
call a kleemann, MKB or Renntech distributor, they all have high performance kats for your car
Old 05-28-2003 | 12:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Re: Re: AND NEXT,

Originally posted by Joe55
DAMN...WHO PISSED IN YOUR CEREAL THIS MORNING
ahem, sorry about that, my mistake, i was groggy in the morning!
Old 05-28-2003 | 12:04 AM

2001 CLK 55
Re: Re: Re: AND NEXT,

Originally posted by vraa
ahem, sorry about that, my mistake, i was groggy in the morning!
that's ,,,,,,,,,there's nothing but in the air

Last edited by Joe55; 05-28-2003 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-28-2003 | 01:40 AM

C32AMG
FWIW

AMG cars come with high-capacity catalysts.Better to look elsewhere for a power increase.I also think that leaded fuel is wonderful stuff...on the track,where it belongs.