Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Go not working on Driver's door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55 - 97 E320 - 85 300D
Keyless Go not working on Driver's door

When I test drove the 04 E55 I got a little over a month, the Keyless Go worked fine on the drivers door. Then when I picked it up from the owner, who I know thru work, he said he killed the battery cleaning it with the doors open and jumped it and now the keyless go for the drivers front door doesn't work. He said the dealer told him the driver's door has to be re-programmed and that would cost $68 dollars. I did some research on here and people claimed the micro switches in the handles have gone bad and that you have to replace the whole door handles. So I thought maybe I can swap the drivers front handle with the passengers front handle. Nothing, so I thought maybe the handles weren't electrically or electronically interchangable. So I ordered a new handle and it came in last week. I installed it in the drivers door and still nothing. So I swapped it with the other side and now the new one works in the passenger front door. Now this leads me to believe the old one was bad, and that they can be swapped.

Question is why doesn't the new drivers and passengers front handles work in the drivers door ? Anyone an expert or had experience with handles not working ?

I also disconnected the battery for 10 minutes to see if that would reset the KG module. From what I've read there is only 1 sensor for the drivers side which controls both the front and rear door. The driver's side rear door works fine. All other Keyless go features work correctly except the passenger side read door lock button. The unlock button works fine.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 AM

2005 S430
I have the same problem with my driver and rear right door. Those refuse to lock the car but still unlock it.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Little bit of a

It could be that those microswitches are bad for lock buttons. Try swapping them with ones that work. From the looks of it all the connectors are the same, its just the physical differences with the handles. I put the new drivers front handle on the passengers front door and it worked fine, just can't mount it in cause its the other side. My problem is the driver's door doesn't work at all even with known good handles. The handles are easy enough to replace. A bit pricey for a handle thou.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I had this same issued. Micro switch that LOCKS the door went bad.

Normal after 5+ years and several hundred uses.

Micro switch CAN NOT be replaced as the whole handle is resin filled and not serviceable.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:02 PM

CLK350 Sport
Originally Posted by SPVFD47
It could be that those microswitches are bad for lock buttons. Try swapping them with ones that work. From the looks of it all the connectors are the same, its just the physical differences with the handles. I put the new drivers front handle on the passengers front door and it worked fine, just can't mount it in cause its the other side. My problem is the driver's door doesn't work at all even with known good handles. The handles are easy enough to replace. A bit pricey for a handle thou.
So you bought a new handle for the driver side and still does not work?

I have the same issue that the lock button on the driver door was actually frozen in the winter and it does not work at all after that. I do not want to waste my money to buy a new handle (it's pricey) and does not work. Any other comments how to fix it?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
If a new handle didn't rectify your problem there obviously is another issue with the Keyless Go system. It could be a few things from wiring in the door panel, antenna loops or a electric module. Someone with the proper diagnosis equipment (DAS) could run the tests and determine the problem.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by csxian
So you bought a new handle for the driver side and still does not work?

I have the same issue that the lock button on the driver door was actually frozen in the winter and it does not work at all after that. I do not want to waste my money to buy a new handle (it's pricey) and does not work. Any other comments how to fix it?
Does the inside button work (unlock button) ?