Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOISY A/C Compressor after vacuum and refill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350
NOISY A/C Compressor after vacuum and refill

Car - 2008 C350
So I replaced my A/C Condenser that had pinholes in it with a new one - It was like that when I bought the car - no idea how long it had the holes in it.
Today I went to my independent mechanic and he vacuumed and filled up my A/C system with refrigerant and 3 ounces of refrigerant oil.

It cools nicely but the compressor makes a really nasty whining noise when the a/c is on. I don't think my mechanic knew how much oil to add as he mentioned "I don't know how much oil leaked out so I just added 3 ounces."

It also makes a weird noise in the cabin when the a/c is on. Sounds like fluids and bubbles running through lines.

I have no idea what to do now. Can somebody please shed some light on what a common cause of this noise, more importantly the compressor noise, and and what I should do next? Thank you so much!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
The big problem with late model a/c compressors is that once they are low on gas they can't turn off like a clutch type can. So they are still operating (at a relatively low setting) but they have little or no oil circulation so they burn out.

As long as the oil wasn't added dirrectly into the low side port then I would say that the compressor may be toast. Was it noisy at all before the A/C was regassed? If it was then it might be worth checking the front pulley bearing at it can get noisy but the noise will be there all the time.

Try running the engine with the A/C on, when it is noisy turn it off and if the noise fades away within 1 minute then it's an internal compressor issue.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350
Thanks so much for the response. The noise goes away AS SOON AS I turn the a/c off, and returns as soon as I turn it back on. It wasn't noisy at all before the refill. Does that narrow it down at all?

Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
The big problem with late model a/c compressors is that once they are low on gas they can't turn off like a clutch type can. So they are still operating (at a relatively low setting) but they have little or no oil circulation so they burn out.

As long as the oil wasn't added dirrectly into the low side port then I would say that the compressor may be toast. Was it noisy at all before the A/C was regassed? If it was then it might be worth checking the front pulley bearing at it can get noisy but the noise will be there all the time.

Try running the engine with the A/C on, when it is noisy turn it off and if the noise fades away within 1 minute then it's an internal compressor issue.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Sounds very much like an internal fault in the compressor, time for a new or reco one unfortunately