Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 420SEL Climate Control Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 420SEL Smoke Silver/Choc. Brown Interior
Question 1986 420SEL Climate Control Questions

Help Please!!
I have a 1986 420 SEL with 116,000 and the climate control is erratic. Hopefully someone has experienced or heard of this complaint for some possible direction:
(1) When I turn the vehicle climate control on A/C, it takes about 15-20 minutes before it starts to blow cold then at will, it will blow warm or ambient air, then will go back to cold and vice versa.
(2) If I have the button pushed in for dash vents only, the air will blow out of both the defrost and dash vents at will. I did notice that when I am accelerating or at freeway speeds, 90% of the air blows out of the defrost. When I am at idle or stop and go traffic, it blows out of the vents. Is this system on some type of vacuum??
(3) If I start the vehicle when cold (the climate control is off,ie the button "O" is pushed in, the blower still comes on for a few seconds or so at will. I did notice if I push the "O" button again, even though it is pushed in, it will shut off.
I appreciate any feedback. I hope I gave a good description.
Thanks for your time and possible response,
LAS
San Diego