Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

190E/2.6/Lost power while driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190E 2.6
190E/2.6/Lost power while driving

Hello:

I have a 190E 2.6 with 127K miles on it. Today while accelarating to merge into traffic on I93, the car sputtered, lost power, and failed on me. All the dash lights came on and a puff of white smoke came shot up behind me. Tried starting it back up and it would turn over, a poping sound would come from the rear of it but it would not start. Eventually had it towed to a inde shop who is going to take a look at it tomorrow.

After searching the forum, the fuel pump seems to be the likely suspect but I am not sure and would love to hear your ideas about what could be causing this.

FYI, I changed the oil (10WD-40) and swapped out the motor mounts this past Saturday. And, on Friday, had to clean the idle control valve and lubed it with WD40 to correct a realllyyy high idle problem that reared its ugly head then. Oh, and added a K&N filter to replace the OEM.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:19 PM
Almost a Member!

190E 2.6
Issue Update

Update: I called the mechanic this morning to find him having much difficulty with figuring out what the problem is. They told me that the fuel pumps are fine but that there is no power going to the fuel pump when the car is left on its own. They checked for the fuel pump relay and that they could not find one as the 93 190E 2.6 have a MAS unit instead. They also told me that they replaced this as their computer had told them that this was responsible for the issue --to no avail. Anyways they told me that they were going to do some more diag and that I should call them later.

I gave them a jingle early afternoon to find out that they were able to get fuel to the engine but it was backfiring. This led them to conclude that the ECU was bad so they are going to replace it.

How does this sound y'all?

Thanks,
Old 06-05-2003, 04:01 PM

It sounds like they do not know what they are doing.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:41 PM
Almost a Member!

190E 2.6
Update

The issue is still unresolved. They told me that the car was fine on Friday. Got there, hopped into it, started it, went to pay the bill, came back out andf the car's idle was blipping: upo to 1500 thedn back to 500. The mechanic came out and pressed the gas, then turned the car off. It would not restart. Left it there.

Here is what has been replaced to date:
1) OVP
2) CIS-ECU (used)
3) MAS
4) rotor
5) Distributor cap

Tested the fule lines and they tested out fine along with the spark plugs.

I am starting to wonder if there is a vacuum leak of some sort. Could this be the cause of it?
Old 06-08-2003, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by patrick
It sounds like they do not know what they are doing.
Are they familiar with the KE system? Is it a MB dealer?
Old 06-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Almost a Member!

190E 2.6
It is

and indie show who has been working on MB for approx. 20 years. I am not sure if they are familiar with the KE system. I am concerned, however, that they are not aware of the numerous test available for determing if individual components are bad. But ....... you gotta pay to learn.

lata
Old 06-08-2003, 02:01 PM

Yes, you are paying them to learn.

Maybe your MB dealer who should know all about KE could have fixed your car without replacing each KE component step by step just until the problem is solved.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:35 AM
Almost a Member!

190E 2.6
True

That the dealer would/should be able to diagnose the problem and not use the "throw hardware at it" approach but the earliest I can get to them is 06/16/03. I am unable to wait that long.

I am about to take the car to another indie shop who, technically, is better but not so customer friendly.

Will keep you posted.

lata,