Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with 2004 E320...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S
Exclamation Problems with 2004 E320...

Hey everyone, hows it going? My car lately has been giving me some problems and i just wanted to know what everyone on the forum thinks.

First, Im going to do my best with explaining some of these problems.

First problem: When i am driving the car, i hear a weird noise coming from the engine, its the same winy noise when i am walking to my car and i press the unlock button and the car like knows its starting, its coming from that silver looking thing in the engine near right headlight. This noise is constant when im driving, when ever i hit a hard bump on the road that thing makes a noise, when im driving i get the noise like every 30 minutes. Its very annoying, and i just want to know what is this and why when i hit bumps or what ever it makes the noise? Is it some kind of pump? is it defective do you think? Also i feel the vibration from this noise on my brake pedal when i am driving.

Second problem: I noticed that when ever i go on speed bumps or any type of bumps, i hear a loud clump, on the bottom very loud, happens especially when i go a little faster on speed bumps, very annoying. Something wrong with one of the shocks?

Third problem: When i am driving my car at a very slow speed, like 5 to 10 mph my car starts jerking going back and forth for a few seconds until i speed up. It almost seems like its a manual car going from neutral to 1st gear and someone doesnt know how to drive it.

Fourth Problem: I bought a pair of parking lights 194s for my car online and i installed them, and they were not working properly so I took them out. But now im getting these onboard errors saying how my rear lights are not working, and brake light is turning on because of this, but the lights are working....so i dont understand, did these parking lights screw up my computer in my car or something? Its like 3 malfuntions and they are not going away.

Fifth problem: My rear sun shade is not working anymore...doesnt go up.

Sixth problem: When my car is parked on a hill either facing down or up, and i want to put the car in drive, the second i move the shift from park it makes like a loud bang noise, sort of like all the pressure moving from P is released....not sure how to explain it.

Seventh Problem: My brake light on my trunk is half burned out, is there anyway to fix this or replace this?

Any suggestions or advice would help.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350
Thumbs up

1. SBC (brake system hydraulic pump), Noise you hear is normal when the pump goes into it's "self check" mode, which happens often. No problem there. If you ever do have an issue with SBC you will get a warning in the inst. cluster.

2. Several causes of a clunk over bumps in these cars. Torque arm bushings and ball joints are most common. Needs to be on a lift and checked by a knowledgable tech.

3. Hard to say. Something as simple as the trans being in Sport mode could cause this issue, however if you've had the car a while and are used to it's shift habits, and this is something new, then again the trans will need to be diagnosed using the proper equipment.

4 and 7. Third brake light led's being out will cause a bulb out message. What "brake light" are you refering to turning on. This may be a different issue.

5. Usually the sunshade is defective. Sometimes a light "pounding" on the hat shelf in the area on the sunshade while operating the switch can "unstick" the shade. It's worth a shot, sunshade replacement is pretty expensive.

6. Pretty normal when parked on a hill for the trans to bang when shifted into D. You are basically holding the car on the hill with the parking pawl in the trans, therefore it has a pretty hefty load on it. Try using the parking brake when parked, shift into D with the park brake still applied, then release the brake. You may still feel a "thud" but at least the brake is holding the car and not the trans.

Hope this helps. Sure, having these issues diagnosed at a dealer can be costly, but it's really the only way to assure correct repairs will be made. These are only suggestions and things I've seen in the past. Nothing beats a proper diagnosis.