Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 E320 CDI convert to WVO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
2006 E320 CDI convert to WVO?

Hi Everyone. I’m brand new to this forum and I have an interesting question for whoever wants to take a stab at it.
Quick background first … We bought our 2006 E320 CDI at the beginning of this year with 52,000 miles. This is an amazing car and our first Mercedes. Other than replacing the water pump (it failed at 82k), I’ve done regular maintenance and the car runs incredible. We bought this car with the idea of converting it to run on Waste Vegetable Oil. Before you dump on me for screwing up a perfectly good car, I want you to know that I also have a 2001 Ford F250 with the 7.3 Diesel. I have already converted it to run on WVO and it has been a huge success. I did all the work myself (following a plan and with guidance from the WVO community), and it was very easy to do. I have a few thousand miles running on WVO and the truck runs amazing. My wife drives her E320 to work every day, and round trip, puts on about 90 miles. This is why I am interested in converting her car.

Here are my questions. Is there any specific risk to running the E320 CDI on WVO? Does the Diesel ‘return to the fuel tank’ or does it ‘Dead Head’ in the intake? My F250 Dead Heads in the intake. Are there any ‘Electronics’ that monitor fuel that might look at WVO and say, “hey, this is not diesel fuel” and screw up the engine or even performance?

Those are my starting questions. I will do a lot of research before messing with the E320 but I hope this opens some great dialogue on the subject. I look forward to your comments, concerns, and suggestions.

P.S. I respect everyone’s right to an opinion, but if you are on an ‘anti WVO kick’, please find someplace else to vent. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Put in a phone call to Willie Nelson.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by lkchris
Put in a phone call to Willie Nelson.
That's the best you've got? I asked a serious and specific question and you felt it was your job to be a douche? Nice.