Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

722.9 (7-speed) transmission corrosion issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
i have a 2004 cl65 transmission and was told that this trans pan and many others already have magnets installed in the pan. can anyone verify?
thanks
Old 12-23-2011, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 VW GTI
Yes magnets are in the pan to catch small metal fillings as parts wear.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic; 2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Here is the bulletin regarding the fluids. The last two pages are for power steering fluids not applicable to this thread, but I group my fluid information together for future reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MB AT and PS fluid bulletins.pdf (613.9 KB, 2545 views)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Originally Posted by kjb55
Here is the bulletin regarding the fluids. The last two pages are for power steering fluids not applicable to this thread, but I group my fluid information together for future reference.
Great info. Thanks for posting!
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 01-14-2012, 03:57 PM

C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by black_e63
Gents, have you guys heard about this? I heard this from a credible source and I am planning to take action to save my own trans...

There is a growing problem with the older 7-speed trannys (pre-2010 manufacture date). The red trans fluid used in the pre-2010 722.9 units causes corrosion in the electronics inside the trans. This apparently affects several manufacturers, not just MB. The electronics are made by Siemens, which supplied parts for many manufacturers. Transmissions made after sometime in 2010 use a new blue trans fluid which is not corrosive and do not have this problem.

If your car has this trans and it already has the blue fluid, then you have nothing to worry about (re: this issue). If your car has the red fluid and your car experiences no transmission problems (e.g., stuck in gear, hard to start, check engine light for trans problem,...), then you should proactively flush the old red fluid out and put the blue fluid in. If your trans is giving problems like those mentioned above, then you might be looking at a complete trans replacement! This issue can start appearing in earnest around 60k miles. Note that the red and blue fluids are not compatible, so the red fluid must be flushed out. There can be some residual red left over, the trans does not need to be wiped dry before installing the blue, but you must do a full, normal, complete flush.

I am going to have my fluid changed again within the next few days, despite the fact that my trans just had a flush (red fluid) completed a year ago and has no problem symptoms.

Comments?

I heard that the various fluids like transmission, differential, motor fluids have certain chemicals removed, so we have to figure out what to actually use.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:29 AM

E63 AMG
For what it's worth, my E63 (55,000 miles) is now in its 2nd week of sitting at the dealer's shop waiting for a backordered conductor plate to be delivered from the fatherland, with no hard shipping date as of yet.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:34 PM

2006 Mercedes CLK500
I just come across this thread while researching the 7 speed transmission "blue" fluid issue. Like the thread originator, Black E63, I too live in Sacramento and last week my independent MBZ shop owner advised me to change the transmission fluid from the current red to blue. The reasons cited: red fluid damages the electronics, issue applies to other cars such as Porsche, BMW, etc., MBUSA technical bulletins advising fluid change, independent shops no longer able to obtain replacement transmission from MBUSA, lawsuits everywhere, etc. Cost for blue fluid change: $500. What annoyed me most was that I just changed the fluid at this shop 10 months ago. I called my local MBZ dealer and was told that I'm the second person to raise this issue. They are still using red fluid and know nothing about the blue fluid issue. Last week I also wrote a letter to MBUSA asking for clarification. If I obtain a response, I'll post the particulars. This is my 6th MB in the last 30 years and I've always been aggressive about maintenance: "A" service @ 5k intervals; all fluids changed at 20K intervals, etc. I dont' mind paying for maintenance, but I don't like to cover the same ground twice. For me, the bottom line is that if the "issue" isn't confirmed by the dealer and/or MBUSA, I'm skeptical. If I get more facts, I'll be glad to share.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:07 PM

C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by Roadsterluver
I just come across this thread while researching the 7 speed transmission "blue" fluid issue. Like the thread originator, Black E63, I too live in Sacramento and last week my independent MBZ shop owner advised me to change the transmission fluid from the current red to blue. The reasons cited: red fluid damages the electronics, issue applies to other cars such as Porsche, BMW, etc., MBUSA technical bulletins advising fluid change, independent shops no longer able to obtain replacement transmission from MBUSA, lawsuits everywhere, etc. Cost for blue fluid change: $500. What annoyed me most was that I just changed the fluid at this shop 10 months ago. I called my local MBZ dealer and was told that I'm the second person to raise this issue. They are still using red fluid and know nothing about the blue fluid issue. Last week I also wrote a letter to MBUSA asking for clarification. If I obtain a response, I'll post the particulars. This is my 6th MB in the last 30 years and I've always been aggressive about maintenance: "A" service @ 5k intervals; all fluids changed at 20K intervals, etc. I dont' mind paying for maintenance, but I don't like to cover the same ground twice. For me, the bottom line is that if the "issue" isn't confirmed by the dealer and/or MBUSA, I'm skeptical. If I get more facts, I'll be glad to share.
I wonder what Mercedes Benz dealers use in Europe. I have been reading a lot of different sources regarding changes in oil, ATF, etc. and from what I have noticed is that the EPA is largely part of the changes and there might be additives that were normally used to prevent corrosion and possible damage that are being removed or reduced, which may cause MB dealers to have to comply, even though it would be better use to something other than what the dealer or mfg is suggesting. It is frustrating to say the least because we want to make sure we take care of our investment and everyone is concerned about the environment, but unfortuntley, the technology just doesn't catch up faster than the EPA's ability to change requirements and I don't thinks they are going to use 100% non-corrosive metal for engine and transmission parts due to the cost involved or because it still might not be the right metal to use. What would happen of they automatically changed everything to pure titanium? the price of the engine, if they could actually use it would go up 15x.

let us know what Meredes says and if anyone in Europe can validate what is recommended in European cars of the same year, that would be helpful.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:24 PM

C230 Kompressor
I've done some research for another project I was working and found that their some PVD coating technology that is about 3 microns thick that can be added to highly polished surfaces as long as it is certain grades of stainless steel, high grade aluminum or titanium, it is similar to that they put on expensive drill bits to improve the life, but I don't know if they can use it, if it will work with the metals they use or the applications and how the fluids would work. because it is a non-corrosive, extremely thin plating to extend the life of the metal surface. maybe the car makers might have to start using this technology if they can. Unfortunatley, some of the metal alloys used in various components might not be capable of using this unique PVD coating technology. It's cool stuff. the plating is about 20 times more durable than traditional plating like electroplating, chrome plating, etc. Plus it is environmentally a good technique they use. PM me if you want me to send some additional information if you have an interest in having things plated that are polished titanium, stainless steel, high grade aluminum or even chrome plated parts can be coated with PVD.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:32 PM

2006 Mercedes CLK500
You raise a very good point. I've been advised by MBZ shops that 1) Europeans are much more oriented towards frequent maintenance than in the U.S., perhaps due to the highter cost of vehicle ownership, and 2) the EPA is behind the change in lubricant composition. I think we are going through a transition period between environmental needs and current technology that is reminiscent of the change over from leaded to non-leaded fuels. Ultimately, manufacturers will catch up, but owners have to navigate all of this in the meantime. The MBZ shop owner who advised me to change over to the "blue" fluid also advised against using the type of Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil recommended by MBUSA, referring to it as "green" technology oil (doesn't this use of colors to explain the issue make you feel like a 6 year old?). In any event, he advises the use of Mobile 1 motorcycle oil at his shop for MBZ oil changes. Apparently it still contains the additives now removed from Mobile 1 "green" (zinc, vitamin E, God knows whatelse, etc.). On one hand, I can understand the problem given the tension between maintenance and the environment. On the other hand, I don't like crypto-maintenance practices. I envy the older MBZs with 200K miles still going strong. I guess no one told the owners about blue, green and red oils.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:34 PM

C230 Kompressor
You raise a very good point. I've been advised by MBZ shops that 1) Europeans are much more oriented towards frequent maintenance than in the U.S., perhaps due to the highter cost of vehicle ownership, and 2) the EPA is behind the change in lubricant composition. I think we are going through a transition period between environmental needs and current technology that is reminiscent of the change over from leaded to non-leaded fuels. Ultimately, manufacturers will catch up, but owners have to navigate all of this in the meantime. The MBZ shop owner who advised me to change over to the "blue" fluid also advised against using the type of Mobile 1 synthetic motor oil recommended by MBUSA, referring to it as "green" technology oil (doesn't this use of colors to explain the issue make you feel like a 6 year old?). In any event, he advises the use of Mobile 1 motorcycle oil at his shop for MBZ oil changes. Apparently it still contains the additives now removed from Mobile 1 "green" (zinc, vitamin E, God knows whatelse, etc.). On one hand, I can understand the problem given the tension between maintenance and the environment. On the other hand, I don't like crypto-maintenance practices. I envy the older MBZs with 200K miles still going strong. I guess no one told the owners about blue, green and red oils.
Maybe we should do a mixture of the original Mobil 1 synthetic oil and then go to the Whole Foods market for some Zinc capsules that are vegetarian with no fillers or binders or preservatives and then spray some Teflon in the mixture and then add that. I think if we went to Whole Foods, that will keep the environmentalists happy. oh, and add a shot of Wheat Grass to make it 100% green. :-)
Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic; 2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
What is unclear about the MB document in post 28? Is there still information that negates that document as provided by Mercedes Benz?

Is specs the 722.6 and 722.9 trans, differentiates the red and blue with explanation and advised how to identify the switch by design of the trans pan.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:14 PM

2006 Mercedes CLK500
"What's unclear about the MB document in post 28?"

I learned the hard way long ago not to attempt to interpret the applicability of tech. bulletins anymore than I self-diagnose medical needs. That's what the "experts" are well paid to do. More to the point, the issue, at least for me, is not what's in the tech. bulletin. Rather, it's why the independent and the dealer are giving me exact opposite answers on a vehicle they've both serviced. Since I practially support both of them, I'm taking the bulletin to both next week asking for an explanation. It appears that one or the other doesn't know what they're talking about. When you blithely ask for $500 to service a transmission you just serviced 10 months ago, you better know your facts.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
please let us know the results.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Some people believe anything. The corrosion issue is complete BS. All the ISP's that are telling you this are just trying to make a buck. The truth regarding the conductor plate issue/speed sensor is that during the manufacturing process the solder joints for the speed sensor were faulty. Not corrosion. For those looking for more info PM me.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 PM

C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by MBtech1098
Some people believe anything. The corrosion issue is complete BS. All the ISP's that are telling you this are just trying to make a buck. The truth regarding the conductor plate issue/speed sensor is that during the manufacturing process the solder joints for the speed sensor were faulty. Not corrosion. For those looking for more info PM me.
Is there some Bulletin that discusses this that we can read? Is it only on certain model year transmissions?

I had a C230 and I didn't have any problems with that transmission, but I am getting ready to buy a new C class and am just interested for my own piece of mind. because when there are changes in the fluids and oils we use and there are companies, service centers independant or MBSC, saying various things, it gets confusing and the European market doesn't have the EPA changing rules on additives, which the EPA is doing and it does get confusing.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:38 PM

10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by Oneness
Is there some Bulletin that discusses this that we can read? Is it only on certain model year transmissions?

I had a C230 and I didn't have any problems with that transmission, but I am getting ready to buy a new C class and am just interested for my own piece of mind. because when there are changes in the fluids and oils we use and there are companies, service centers independant or MBSC, saying various things, it gets confusing and the European market doesn't have the EPA changing rules on additives, which the EPA is doing and it does get confusing.
The change in fluids has nothing to do with EPA (fluid additives related). Read early in this thread for why the fluid changed..."Blue Efficiancy"

Bulletin discussing what the change in fluid or the conductor plate issue?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:26 PM

C230 Kompressor
The change in fluids has nothing to do with EPA (fluid additives related). Read early in this thread for why the fluid changed..."Blue Efficiancy"

well, you mentioned something about the difference in the pan and there was a faulty solder joint problem, do you have some specific Bulletin from Mercedes on this issue? Which year(s) and models were affected?

thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 10:42 PM

C230 Kompressor

in the service bulletin, it mentions three different fluids depending on the model year and trans mission, right? well, is there any influence by the EPA on the fluids and additives that present, not present or different levels between the three different fluids listed? if there are no differences in additives for corrosion protection or wear protection, then what is the actual difference in the three fluid mentioned? can one tell the difference in the three fluids mentioned b the color? If so, what are the three colors for A, B, and C? does anyone know?

In terms of ENGINES, I looked up PVD coatings and the automotive industry has actually changed certain aspects of engines, where they changed the alloys from carbon steel to titanium or other none corrosive metals and have applied Coating to Reduce friction and thus less wear, but they used Toyota as one example, but didn't go into any more depth. But I thought it was interesting because engine mfg have changed from iron to aluminum which does change what type of oil composition should be used due to the metal changes. I just thought it was interesting as a side note.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:45 PM

C230 Kompressor

Here is what gets confusing, when I bought my car new in 2000, they gave us a choice of trad oil or synthetic. Then MB came out with a notice that said they are changing over to synthetic and THEN they come out with specific Mobil 1 synthetic specifically for the model year or whatever their reasoning behind it. Now, no one is saying why, no one is saying who, they just issue the bulletin and I am supposed to adhere to it because that is how I deal with my car. Now, I didn't have any major problems with my engine, I did have a leak with the transmission, but my trans wasn't acting up, so I just simply had the trans fluid changed. now, I was told that this little leak near the sensor is a common problem, but my tranny never had any problems that effected its performance. I never had to have it repaired. I am just wondering for my own eductation, why the different stances on oil over the years.

As some of us know, to change the viscosity of oil or ATF, they use different additives to do this. Which one(s) do they use? I have no idea on how to answer that one...
Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 PM

10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by Oneness
well, you mentioned something about the difference in the pan and there was a faulty solder joint problem, do you have some specific Bulletin from Mercedes on this issue? Which year(s) and models were affected?

thanks
There is no bulletin pertaining to the solder joint. That is unofficial information from MB.

Regarding fluids there are only two for the 722.9 and there was one for the 722.6. They have eliminated the 722.6 fluid as the red fluid ATF134 for the 722.9 is backwards compatible. There are currently 2 different pans for the 722.9. ATF 134 FE is the blue fluid which is basically the same but a lower viscosity fluid for use in the low friction 722.9 to increase fuel economy.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
this is very interesting and confusing. i have a 2005 cl65 trans, which is a 5 speed. does any of this pertain to my tranny? also, i have mercedes tranny fluid. it is red, part# a 001 989 68 03 13. is this the correct fluid for my 5 speed tranny?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Originally Posted by biker349
this is very interesting and confusing. i have a 2005 cl65 trans, which is a 5 speed. does any of this pertain to my tranny? also, i have mercedes tranny fluid. it is red, part# a 001 989 68 03 13. is this the correct fluid for my 5 speed tranny?
With 99.999% certainty, the red fluid is correct for all 5-speeds, including yours, mine and anyone else. The blue fluid is only applicable for the newer 7-speed. And as we have learned here, there is belief the blue fluid when used in older 7-speeds and any 5-speed, *may* be harmful. No data exists to recommend changing from red to blue. If you have red fluid, stay with red fluid.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 PM

C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by MB-Dude
With 99.999% certainty, the red fluid is correct for all 5-speeds, including yours, mine and anyone else. The blue fluid is only applicable for the newer 7-speed. And as we have learned here, there is belief the blue fluid when used in older 7-speeds and any 5-speed, *may* be harmful. No data exists to recommend changing from red to blue. If you have red fluid, stay with red fluid.
Cheers,
Jeff
I think the confusion is the change over to the newer 7 speed since they changed over in the middle of a model year is what I interprete. And I guess the only way to tell is by looking at the bottom pan to see if it is the newer or the older 7 speed.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 PM

C230 Kompressor
There is no bulletin pertaining to the solder joint. That is unofficial information from MB.

Regarding fluids there are only two for the 722.9 and there was one for the 722.6. They have eliminated the 722.6 fluid as the red fluid ATF134 for the 722.9 is backwards compatible. There are currently 2 different pans for the 722.9. ATF 134 FE is the blue fluid which is basically the same but a lower viscosity fluid for use in the low friction 722.9 to increase fuel economy.
I guess if someone has a bad solder joint that that might be an isolated instance and it sounds like it should be covered under warranty is my guess.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 722.9 (7-speed) transmission corrosion issue