Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers Chattering + Dealer Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slk 230 & CLK500
Wipers Chattering + Dealer Problems

Have a 2003 SLK 230 with 1000 miles. The car has been in 3 times for wipers chattering, they have replaced the inserts, arms, cleaned the windshield & even bent the arms to try to cure it but has gotten worse. Before it only chattered on the downsweep but now in both directions. Now they want to replace the wiper motor & transmission. Have no faith in the dealers quality control. When I first got my car at night I was getting flashed so I had the dealer check the aiming, got it home & could only see 15 feet infront of me, way off & took it back they said there machine had it perfect so I had them compare to another SLK against a wall & that was was like mine before they adjusted mine, they tried readjusting mine but could not bring it back so they gave me both headlamps from that car, upon installing whe I got home the headlamps were never tightened & bumper not aligned as they had to take off the bumper to get to the headlights & they ruined the rubber gasket on the headlamp. They ordered me a new gasket put it on looked great but the headlight was loose, service writer tried tightening it but it turns out the mechanic broke the clip & sent it out that way so it went back in they put in a new clip but when removing the light to replace the clip they damaged the rubber gasket again. I am afraid to have them take apart my cowl to get to the wiper motor & trnasmission. Also the top groans when closing from the convertible position. Plus the ventilation fan problem of a previous post, wondering if I have to spell the word lemon???
Old 06-19-2003, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Or maybe spell "incompetence?"

I'm surprised at the number of posts I read where the dealer's service people actually _damage_ the cars. ????
Old 06-19-2003, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
I have the same problem with my wiper and have replaced the blade insert and then the entire arm. The "chattering" is only on the downsweep now but it's still there. I am just living with it for now because I am not under warranty anymore and don't want to spend the money on a new motor. Steve, please let me know if replacing the motor took care of it. Thanks...Jimmy
Old 06-19-2003, 05:15 PM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
Wiper Blades

I have driven a number of MBs since 83. Windshield wiper blades have always been an issue. Since my first 240D the blades never do a good job cleaning the windshield. I have used MB blades, Bosch, Amco, etc. I have used the MB windshield cleaning fluid, the MB "glass wax" cleaner. You name it I have tried it on 123, 201 & 202 body cars.

I have had two different wiper blades and three new inserts on my W202 in the last three months. The streak and make noise soon after I replace them.

In the past, whenever I have had a broken windshield, I have always insisted on MB glass. The one time I didn't get MB glass the winshield wiper blades work great. I wonder if it is the glass in the MB winshields that causes so much problems?

Last edited by sph17; 06-19-2003 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:29 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
I own a 2003 CLK 500 that has wiper chatter and has been repaired to no avail.

The 2003 c240 loaner I was given has wipers that are whisper quiet!!

My 92 300ce's wiper was great

My 99 clk 430's wiper was great as was the 00 and 01 I had.

MB is using a new design called a beam blade, there is no supporting frame as in the normal type wipers.

PS the rain sensor in my new CLK sucks too, a lite rain sends the wipers into full speed...so annoying, especially with the chatter going and ****ty AM reception I get. BTW the c240 loaner has perfect AM reception, had mine in for that too, they replaced all kinds of stuff and still the same.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by RJC
I own a 2003 CLK 500 that has wiper chatter and has been repaired to no avail.

The 2003 c240 loaner I was given has wipers that are whisper quiet!!

My 92 300ce's wiper was great

My 99 clk 430's wiper was great as was the 00 and 01 I had.

MB is using a new design called a beam blade, there is no supporting frame as in the normal type wipers.

PS the rain sensor in my new CLK sucks too, a lite rain sends the wipers into full speed...so annoying, especially with the chatter going and ****ty AM reception I get. BTW the c240 loaner has perfect AM reception, had mine in for that too, they replaced all kinds of stuff and still the same.
My Lexus IS300 chatters on the downswipe also and I have been through 2 blades (OEM lexus) and a new bosch microedge excel blade and still get the noise. Now I just use aquapel so I dont have to use the wipers.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally posted by AlBoston
My Lexus IS300 chatters on the downswipe also and I have been through 2 blades (OEM lexus) and a new bosch microedge excel blade and still get the noise. Now I just use aquapel so I dont have to use the wipers.
Does "aquapel" really work that good to where you don't have to use your wipers? Sounds interesting...

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2003, 07:12 PM

Aquapel

The PPG website says:

"Your professional car center can install Aquapel® Glass Treatment in just minutes, ensuring a proper and thorough application. Visit your local auto dealer, auto replacement glass shop, quick lubes, car wash, or detailer and ask them to apply Aquapel® Glass Treatment from PPG Industries, Inc., leaders in glass technology.

Were you able to purchase this your self and install it? Where were you able to find it and how much was it?
Old 07-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 C230 Kompressor Sport
Try RainX. I've been using it for years. Apply it yourself to all your windows. Be sure and thoroughly clean them first.

Last edited by HiDefDave; 07-11-2003 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:28 PM

SLK230
Its the blades

I had the same issue with my SLK230 and I got pissed and installed Bosch Microedge one night in the rain and they fixed the chattering. I do not use RainX or any other product on the windshield, it was just cheap blades.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:18 PM

Bosch WW Blades

They may work on you car but on my W202 they miss about 3 inch of the outside edge on the backswipe. I tried three different ones blades. The MB blades (made by same company, but different design) didn't miss the outside edge. Go figure.

I guess the take home point is that you should keep trying differnt things till you find one that works for your vehicle.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Re: Wipers Chattering + Dealer Problems

Originally posted by steve1173
Have a 2003 SLK 230 with 1000 miles. The car has been in 3 times for wipers chattering ...
Check out https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=wipers
Old 08-16-2003, 12:26 PM

2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
I trashed my ML430 blades and replaced with www.tripledge.com units purchased at K-Mart and haven't had anymore problems. They also work great on my wife's RX-7 and the Jeep Grand Cherokee that the ML replaced. Can't beat the lifetime guarantee either.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
Thanks for the tip. I just posted on the W210 99 board of need for new blade. That was to cure chattering. But now I see it may be common ailment which may not be cured by MB replacement. So I better hold off a new blade until I dig into this more. Darn, they shut down many local KMarts here....can't believe I would go there for MB replacement part but hell, if it works, great.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Next time you take your car in do a "request tech". Make sure your advisor knows you want a veteran on your car, not some noob who doesn't know any better. Sure they all gotta start somewhere, but you have had enough grief.
Wiper chatter on an SLK is not common at all. A new motor, transmission, whatever ain't gonna fix it. Apply some rain-x or some aquapel or similar treatment, I can almost guarantee a fix. Since mercedes went to a newer style blade on the S-class, CL, E, and C, we have had tons of wiper chatter complaints, using Rain-X washer fluid instead of the blue stuff has virtually eliminated complaints!
The wipers work pretty darn well on the auto bahn at 120, but here in america things just aren't the same....
Old 09-19-2004, 11:05 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Wipers covered?

Does anybody know for sure if wipers/wiper blades are covered under warranty or under FSS service B? I took my '03 C240 in for Service B last week and when I questioned why wiper blades were not replaced I was told that they are not part of Service B.

I can't find anything that says exactly what is covered under Service B (other than oil, filter, fluids, and systems checks). I just have heard on these boards and on those other MB boards that others have gotten their wiper blades replaced routinely during Service B. It seems to be up to the dealer.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

GGM
Old 09-19-2004, 11:15 PM

1985 300cd 1994 E320 cab.
we have more wiper complaints the we know what to do with you can replace everthing in the system it will always happen and mercedes will not admitt a mistake or a flaw in designe our wiper blades are junk i have gone as far as replaceing a windshield and found that threre was actualy a ripple in the glass but for the most part are blades are junk and expensive the best thing you can do is keep the washer tank full of summer fit consentrate and use that while you clean the wind shiel it will quite down the noise and stop the chatter at times
Old 09-19-2004, 11:17 PM

1985 300cd 1994 E320 cab.
no fss b service come with wiper blades if you have an 03 before that yes but 03 and up no blades
Old 09-20-2004, 08:03 AM

2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by GGM
Does anybody know for sure if wipers/wiper blades are covered under warranty or under FSS service B? I took my '03 C240 in for Service B last week and when I questioned why wiper blades were not replaced I was told that they are not part of Service B.

I can't find anything that says exactly what is covered under Service B (other than oil, filter, fluids, and systems checks). I just have heard on these boards and on those other MB boards that others have gotten their wiper blades replaced routinely during Service B. It seems to be up to the dealer.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

GGM
My dealer lists the following services covered under the B Service on their website -

Flexible Service System - B-Service

What we do:
- Change your vehicle's engine oil and filter
- Replace the dust filter in all SLK, CLK, C-Class and E-Class models,
and in S-Class and SL-Class models without the active charcoal filter
- Replace windshield wiper inserts
- Inspect and rotate tires
- Lubricate and inspect throttle linkage
- Ensure the parking brake, steering play, headlamps and exterior lamps,
warning and indicator lamps, horn, windshield/headlamp wiper and washer
systems, seat belts, and backrest lock (S-Class only) are functioning correctly
- Inspect tires and check tire pressure (including spare)
- Inspect brake pad thickness and disc condition
- Inspect front axle ball joints and Poly-V-belt
- Check and correct all fluid levels
- Reset your vehicle's FSS counter
*Model year 1998 through 2004 vehicles are equipped with the Flexible Service System (FSS)

Maybe you can check your dealers website from the following link http://www.highwayhome.com/statesele...todealers.html
Old 09-20-2004, 06:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes cut the B-service, starting in '03 it no longer includes the tire rotation or wiper blades. Thats okay though, I have started actually testing every battery that comes in for a service, and I have made up the difference warrantying batteries. I like that midtronics tester, they can't argue with it! You would be surprised at just how many batteries that tester will find for you!
Old 09-20-2004, 08:16 PM
GGM

2008 E350
OK. So the blades are no longer replaced on Service B. Anybody know of a blade refill that fits? Other than OE?
I've been to Auto Zone, Advance Discount, WalMart, Target. Can't find anything to fit. I just want to replace the blades. Suggested brands? Suggested retailer?

Thanks
GGM
Old 09-21-2004, 09:53 PM
GGM

2008 E350
So. Emailed the Service Manager at the dealer and asked what Service B consisted of. He lists wiper inserts!!! I email back that I specifically asked and was told they were no longer included. Waiting to see what his reply will be this time. Told him I was just checking before I fill out my survey .

GGM