Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked windshield on 2000 CL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
Angry Cracked windshield on 2000 CL500

Well, I suppose it had to happen at some point in my life. :-) I was driving my CL500 home (on the freeway) and a couple car lengths ahead was a MUV (mega-utility-vehicle) and a rock kicked up and smacked my windshield directly in my line of site, creating a 1/2 inch crack. It is very annoying because now, it creates a prism affect, and I am finding it difficult to focus beyond it. I know my choices are attempted repair or replacement. The glass shop the dealership uses won't repair anything in line of sight, which means a replacement only. I did find a place that will repair it, but again no guarantee. Two years ago my aunt had the windshield replaced on her 1999 S-Class and had nothing but problems with wind noise afterwards, even after they reinstalled it and then last thing was adding more caulking. So, now she gets the windnoise and various creeking sounds. I am not looking forward to any of that.

Looking at all the surrounding mouldings on the CL also makes me a little worried about a proper replacement.

Any advice would be appreciated it. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:05 PM

E55
I had the glass replaced on my '97 E420 and had no problems. A competent shop should be able to do this. The winshield is part of the car's structure and has to cure for 24 hours after installation however.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:14 PM

CL500
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I thought it was part of the structure, and that is what concerned me. I realize we have to trust people, but given a couple of bad experiences, or tales of bad experiences, makes one wary I suppose. Tomorrow I am going to try to see what this one shop does as a repair, assuming he will do it considering the location. If it were anywhere else but in my line of sight, I'd have no problem. If they will repair it, I may just try and see how long I can go. Thanks again for your response.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:15 PM

Had the same thing happen to my cl500 rear window at the DEALERSHIP!!

I wouldn`t let them fix it for fears of a screw up on there end!

Though they said Only specially trained MB techs do it on a on call basis.

They gave me 1000.00 for my troubles.

Brad
Old 06-30-2003, 12:34 AM

CL500
Cracked Windshield

Thanks for your post. Ouch, that would to hurt having the dealer crack your window. The dealships around here all farm their windshield replacement out to auto glass companies. Not even the MB techs touch it. I'd fell better if they took care of it, but I don't have a choice unfortunately.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:56 PM

E55
Actually, it was my dealer too who cracked my winshield but they refused to pay for it claiming the glass already had other damage - which consisted of microscopic pits. A**holes!