Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

271, c230 timing chain help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
271, c230 timing chain help

Long story short.... I bought a C230, after one week driving car stalled. towed to work, found intake cam gear missing all but 6 teeth.
Cylinder head was destroyed, so i bought a used engine with lower mileage.
figured i'd save the headache in the future, so i installed a new intake cam gear, esp since one tooth was already missing from the engine i purchased.
So i reassemble, install the motor. fire it up. and WHAM! intake cam goes out of time 90*.
what am i doing? crank and exhaust cam are in proper time, just the intake is out.
what have, or should i say haven't i done!?

Any help. I just want to put this car back on the road.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Alright, so i suppose it's possible I did something incorrectly when timing the engine..
I'm not 100% sure, I may have rotated the engine counter clockwise slightly when torquing the flywheel and clutch down. This may have allowed some slack in the chain? And when i started it pulled the intake gear out of time....
Is there something special to timing this engine??? It is quite basic. But clearly I screwed something up.. Any tips? Suggestions?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 PM

please delete