Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Stuck in Park - Los Angeles Mechanic Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 500
Shifter Stuck in Park - Los Angeles Mechanic Needed

I've read the many posts about the common 'Shifter Stuck in Park' problem.

Has anyone had a positive experience with a trusted mechanic in the Los Angeles area? I am looking to find a mechanic shop that can replace the small plastic shifter piece that is causing the problem -- the two shops I visited want to charge $500-650 just for LABOR!

If anyone has had this problem and was able to affordably fix the problem - under $500 for parts + labor - please send the mechanic's info (I am not inclined to try this myself).

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
Originally Posted by Tim K
I've read the many posts about the common 'Shifter Stuck in Park' problem.

Has anyone had a positive experience with a trusted mechanic in the Los Angeles area? I am looking to find a mechanic shop that can replace the small plastic shifter piece that is causing the problem -- the two shops I visited want to charge $500-650 just for LABOR!

If anyone has had this problem and was able to affordably fix the problem - under $500 for parts + labor - please send the mechanic's info (I am not inclined to try this myself).

Thanks!
In your profile only, mention SL500 (not the year). In earlier year (199X to 2002 it's very easy to release the shift from P to D (use a pencil, at the end of D there is a rubber cover, press down the pencil to that very end), you can be able to shift to D. It's a well know problems for MB (call it a BRAKE SWITCH problems), the part cost around $20.00 OEM ( DO NOT buy after market @ O'Reìly, Pep Boy or !!!!), search the forum, it take 15 minutes to replace the switch !!!!. Unless you spill liquid ((Coke, coffee...) on the shifter (it will cost you over $1K), it's $20 fix DIY !!!. The MB dealer may charge you over $100 for the brake switch replacement, but NOT $500 + labor !!!. Good luck !!!!.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes sl 500
Did you find a solution to this? I'm in the same situation, my mercedes sl 500 is stuck in park and I need someone who can fix it at an affordable price! I live in LA too. Thanks.