Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light Switch questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Brake Light Switch questions.

The brake light switch used on my 98 E320 has a groove moulded into the plunger near the end. (see pic below) It looks like it must fit into something. When I installed a new switch, I didn't pay attention to where end was going, but I did take the blind picture below - looks like there is a socket. Anyone checked that out?

Another question re switch. When I installed mine, I just took it out of package and installed it in it's socket by making a small rotation. In checking the old one, it seems the plunger can be pulled out (ratchets out). Should the plunger be pulled out before installation so it will self adjust and fit securely into the socket?

The brake light switch I installed was from dealer A0015450109.

The pic is the one I removed.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Light Switch questions.-febat-mb-013.jpg   Brake Light Switch questions.-febat-mb-020.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Did a search and found this information from WIS. Seems like it is neccessary to pull out plunger prior to installation. Then push down on brake pedal during installation. Maybe easier said than done. But I will try and see if that makes a difference.

ADDED LATER: I removed the new switch, pulled the plunger out, reinstalled while the brake pedal was depressed. Then let go of the pedal and heard the plunger rachet as the switch self-adjusted. BUT, it made no difference to my brake light trifecta. Next step is to change the ABS pump because codes say that is where problem is.

Last edited by 107123210; 03-25-2012 at 07:32 PM.