Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eliminating Accessory Cord Flop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Eliminating Accessory Cord Flop

I hate my phone or GPS beeping continually as the 12v accessory plug makes connection then breaks connection, makes connection… How about an improvement so that a accessory plug doesn’t flop around in the Cigar Lighter?

Fortunately for us, Mercedes engineers have left the overall diameter of the cigar lighter unchanged for decades. And serendipitously, an old-school cigar lighter can be broken down and the outer drum makes a virtually perfect reducing sleeve for the existing cigar lighter socket mounted in the car. The first step is to find one or two of the old-school, 70’s style cigar lighters.

If you look at the first picture (Tale of Two Lighters), the cigar lighter on the left is the newer style, while the one on the right is the one you’ll need. I found mine at the local junk yard for pennies… or free, if you happen to find one lying on a rusty floorboard.

I have found two types of the older lighter but both seem to disassemble in similar fashion. Start by unscrewing the black knob. In some cases, you may need a set of pliers to get the knob off. Once the knob is removed, unscrew the black retainer disk under it. There will be a spring and a spacer with it. Now the inner assembly is simply pushed out through the other end. Using needle-nose pliers, bend the 3 tangs flat. If you are a perfectionist, like me, use a Dremel tool at slice off about 1/2-inch from the bottom. This step is needed because if you look back to the first picture, you’ll see that the newer cigar lighter (and accompanying socket) are slightly shorter. Polish it up with tan Scotch-Brite and it’s done.

Simply slip the ‘sleeve’ into the cigar lighter socket and you’re good-to-go. No more accessory plug flopping around.

Cheers,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Eliminating Accessory Cord Flop-tale-2-cigar-lighters.jpg   Eliminating Accessory Cord Flop-step-1.jpg   Eliminating Accessory Cord Flop-step-2.jpg   Eliminating Accessory Cord Flop-step-3.jpg   Eliminating Accessory Cord Flop-insertion.jpg  

Eliminating Accessory Cord Flop-finished.jpg