Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Access to the Console in the E420

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Access to the Console in the E420

I am trying to do 2 things. One, the cigarette lighter is very loose and I would like to remove it and lock it in tight. Second, I would like to remove the Motorola phone I bought with this car.

In both cases, I don't know how to access the inside of the console. Can anyone advise me? I already removed the handset - I just need to pull the radio and put the plastic glovebox back in.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If its the Radio you want to remove I believe you need a MB tool that slides in the slots under the radio to unlatch it. This tool is a thin piece of metal like a small butter knife blade but thinner and smaller.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
To remove the cigarette lighter compartment, you need to remove the wood console around the shift gate. To do this,

1) remove the rectangular plastic shift frame
2) pop up the wood console by placing your fingers at the front edge of the wood behind the cigarette lighter compartment.
3) you will see 2 screws for the cigarette compartment. Unscrew these screws you can remove the whole compartment but don't forget to unplug the power for the cigarette lighter.

Use the MB radio keys to remove the radio. After you do so, put your hand into the opening and you will find a lever. Push on this lever to release the glove compartment or the phone module. Good luck.

JohnAMG
Old 03-03-2002, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent John - That did the trick. Got the Phone out and even cleaned the console. Still was not able to get the lighter to work, so I have another question you might be able to answer.

Where is the fuse for the Cigarette lighter? I checked both fuse area's and neither indicates the Cigarette lighter fuse. Furthermore, nothing else is failing to get power. The Radio and all lights work fine.

Just in case it's a connection problem, do you know where the Lighter cable connects on the other side? I checked the connection under the ashtray and it looks fine, although that little light isn't lit!

Thanks again, JohnAMG
Old 03-04-2002, 12:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Question You got me on this one!!!

I don't know the electrical layout of the cigarette lighter and unfortunately I can't offer any help or suggestion. It sounds like you have a malfunctioned lighter but that is my guess. Did you check the fuse box under the rear seat/bench? Also the side of left dash?

JohnAMG