Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c280 operating temp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c280 operating temp

I drive up a big canyon to work everyday. Today it was 100 degrees out, and I had the ac on the '3' setting. The altitude change is from 4500 to 8000 ft. The temp gauge crept up high, about half way between 100-and the max. Fan was on, thermo was changed couple months ago, and once I was over the hill it dropped back down around 97-100. Does this seem normal? I never saw it creep up that high and it freaked me out. The temp did go back down after I topped the hill. This is the first summer going up the hill, didn't do it last week when it was cooler.

I need to change the oil to 20-50, it's only got 10-40 in it now. Could that affect the temp when it's that hot out?

Seemed like it should have been a tad cooler, but under the circumstances do you think this is normal? Thanks.

1994 c280
Old 07-12-2003, 12:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
My roommates 98 C280(V6) never get's higher then about 83'(Were at 300ASL here), what speeds were you driving at?

NP
Old 07-12-2003, 01:57 PM

Mine never went above 80 last year and then I changed the thermostat and coolant temp sensor and it sits right at 90ish which from what I read is normal. I was driving on the highway at 75 mph.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280
Re: c280 operating temp

Originally posted by SLCPUNK
I drive up a big canyon to work everyday. Today it was 100 degrees out, and I had the ac on the '3' setting. The altitude change is from 4500 to 8000 ft. The temp gauge crept up high, about half way between 100-and the max. Fan was on, thermo was changed couple months ago, and once I was over the hill it dropped back down around 97-100. Does this seem normal? I never saw it creep up that high and it freaked me out. The temp did go back down after I topped the hill. This is the first summer going up the hill, didn't do it last week when it was cooler.

I need to change the oil to 20-50, it's only got 10-40 in it now. Could that affect the temp when it's that hot out?

Seemed like it should have been a tad cooler, but under the circumstances do you think this is normal? Thanks.

1994 c280
Are you sure going to thicker oil is going to help ?

What oil are you using ? I'd switch to mobil 1 if you aren't already using it.

0w-40 or 15w50.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Garff did the work on your car make sure that the Antifreeze level is not too high......their antifreeze/water ratio is very high........I just had them do a service and my car heated up quickly and went to about a 100 before settling there. Brought the ratio to about 45-50 % and added a little water wetter and all is well.

I am also guessing you went up Parleys....well, that is a very hot canyon anyways.....
Old 07-13-2003, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by Steph
If Garff did the work on your car make sure that the Antifreeze level is not too high......their antifreeze/water ratio is very high........I just had them do a service and my car heated up quickly and went to about a 100 before settling there. Brought the ratio to about 45-50 % and added a little water wetter and all is well.

I am also guessing you went up Parleys....well, that is a very hot canyon anyways.....
Nice to see someone from Salt Lake! I drive up to Deer Valley for work, so yes it's quite a hike. I don't deal with Garff, what I can't do myself I take to Max's Mercedes. I changed the oil out today and it was a tad lower, but I suspect that the ratio is off a bit. I'll check that tomorrow or Monday and flush it if I have to.

I'm not too worried. But I'm curious if you guys think 110 is too high for those conditions? It would drop back down to 90-100 once I was over the hill and entering PC. Thanks for your thoughts.