Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oem hid xenon-one yellow, one blue. please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w203 c200 kompressor
oem hid xenon-one yellow, one blue. please help

Can somebody please help me. Im at wits end with having one bright blue headlamp and one dull yellow headlamp.
I have read about the burn in process etc. but this cant be the case as i have swopped the bulbs from left to right & nothing helps. The drivers side remains yellow and passenger side remains blue. Even used two other bulbs and it still remains in the above order. The previous owner did have minor collision and the drivers side headlamp was replaced-this is the only infomation i have. What will i need to change/adjust to get the both to match as i know for sure its not the bulb? oh and i also tried cleaning the inner of the projector glass of the older headlamp thinking there could be a build up of something but that made no difference at all. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 PM

C300
What vehicle is this in? Have you tried swapping the balasts?? If its a newer benz what about swapping the headlight control modules?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:51 AM

w203 c200 kompressor
its a w203. i havent tried swapping ballasts yet, will do so soon. im just afraid that if its not the ballast, then im in a dead end as i feel if it was a faulty ballast, it wouldnt power up the light at all. i dont know...thats just the way i see it.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM

G550
I have the same problem. Dealer replaced the driver side headlight unit after the glass was cracked. Now I have something between white/yellow color on left side and "standard" blue on the right side. G550
Old 08-08-2012, 04:38 PM

w203 c200 kompressor
i tried swapping balasts and bulbs but they remained as they were. a few people have this problem and its strange, there are individuals on this forum who can actually strip engines but nobody knows how to sort out this issue.....please help
Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by DONEVEN
i tried swapping balasts and bulbs but they remained as they were. a few people have this problem and its strange, there are individuals on this forum who can actually strip engines but nobody knows how to sort out this issue.....please help
if it is not the ballast and not the bulb, it is the wiring. unplug all connectors and check for problems (rust/dirt/melt). measure resistance with an ohm meter (make sure you have the whatever you are measuring unplugged from the car harness) and compare with the resistance on the other (good) side.

also measure voltage and make sure that it is the same on both sides (for both headlights) right before the ballast (unplug ballast before measuring). do not measure voltage after the ballast as you will burn out your ohm meter (unless you really know what you are doing) and short your ballast.

Last edited by alx; 08-09-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 PM

G550
Originally Posted by DONEVEN
its a w203. i havent tried swapping ballasts yet, will do so soon. im just afraid that if its not the ballast, then im in a dead end as i feel if it was a faulty ballast, it wouldnt power up the light at all. i dont know...thats just the way i see it.
When you just start the car and lights just turned on, is the problem light yellow or it stays for 10-20 sec bright blue and then turned yellow. That is what my light does on start up.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:47 PM

w203 c200 kompressor
same-both start up the same colour and within 10 seconds the new headlight turns from the regular blue to an ugly halogen type yellow
Old 10-11-2012, 10:58 AM

CLK 55 AMG (2001)
I have the exact same problem:

W208

I turn on the headlights, both turn on in the normal whitish colour...

Within 10 to 20 seconds, one of them fades to a yellowish/brownish halogen-type colour.

Mercedes changed the bixenon bulb; makes no difference.

They said it would cost over $2,000 to fix as the whole light fixture (ballast, power control, etc) needed to be replaced.

But it's so close to working properly, and clearly the charge works for a moment... but I think there must be a way to fix it for a more reasonable price, since it appears to be just a simple loss of power.

If anyone can figure out an answer to this, I'd very much appreciate it!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 PM

(W219) 2007 CLS63 AMG
Did anyone figure out how to fix it? I have a 2007 CLS63 and got into a minor accedent that cracked the passenger headlight, ended up replacing the light for $2020.00 and now my driver side light is blue but passenger is like a cremey whitish yellow :/ Ive been leaving my car on all day for the past week hoping it would turn blue by now but it hasn't :/ its been a good +70 hours so far and still won't turn blue How long did it take you guys??
Old 08-16-2018, 04:38 PM

(W219) 2007 CLS63 AMG
Update: I just got different light bulbs a few months after I made that comment in 2015^^^...it never ended up turning blue. Hope this helps people viewing this in the future!