Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

300sd injection timing question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 300sd
300sd injection timing question

I have a 84 300sd and am having a hard time setting the injection timing. Ever since I have had the car it's been noisy running (a lot of clatter). When I turned the engine over and watched the number one delivery valve it was set at 14 btdc. The book I had said it should be 24 btdc so I moved it to there and could tell no difference. I just got a new book and it says that the 84 should be at 14 atdc. The label on under the hood says "initial injection timing 15 atdc (acc. to reference impulse verification method) 24 btdc (acc. to common method)".
I have moved the pump as far away from the engine as I can and can only get the timing to about 5 atdc but the car runs much quiter and smoother not nearly as much clatter. I can't really tell much difference in power. Am I doing this right? Am I going to have to pull the pump and try to move the splines over a notch to get my timing to 14 atdc or can you even do this? I have never had one of these pumps off before. Any help would be appreciated.